The Art of Pipes Dept: no, the real art of pipes...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

The Art of Pipes Dept: no, the real art of pipes...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I know da'Rum has a few of these...

This is actually quite a famous picture, a young man with a pipe, painted by Picasso in I believe, 1905...

. . . . . . .Image

Interestingly, less than 10 years later, he painted yet another pipe picture, one more like the Picasso of whom we think...

. . . . . . .Image

Oddly enough the first painting just sold recently for a new record, around $83M I believe. To end this post, I rather like this one...

. . . . . . .Image

Eh?
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Here is a painting I think you would appreciate, oh Cap'n. Maybe someone could do a portrait of you in a similar pose (not mounted upon a steed, however) leading a charge against rogue rum producers and Potemkin rye bottlers? ;)

Found in part 4 of the "Wine and Warfare" series I posted about, this section deals with Hussars and "sabrage". Behold the swagger of General Lasalle, as painted by Édouard Detaille in 1912, 103 years after his death in a blaze of shot and glory.

The caption with the picture reads "Lasalle rides to his doom at the Battle of Wagram in 1809. Convinced of his impending death the general didn’t even draw his sword but rode full tilt at the Austrian guns flourishing his pipe."

Also from the article, "The Alsatian born Antoine-Charles-Louis Comte de Lasalle fought with Napoleon’s armies across Europe into Egypt, where he adopted bright red Mameluke saroual trousers and then back into Europe, cutting a dash wherever he fought; the Spanish called him “el Picador“, the rogue.

He was the inspiration for Arthur Conan-Doyle’s rip-roaring Brigadier Gerard stories and once proclaimed: “Any hussar who isn’t dead by 30 is a blackguard!”

He actually outlived his proclamation by four years but he did die heroically and at the head of his beloved cavalry, killed in a charge against the Austrians at the Battle of Wagram in 1809 (above).

On the day of the battle he is said to have opened his luggage and found only a broken pipe, a smashed glass and a full bottle of wine. “I will not survive this day,” he told his aide-de-camp."

Wiki has a little more deatial as follows, "He wrote a letter to his wife that read: "Mon coeur est à toi, mon sang à l'Empereur, ma vie à l'honneur" (My heart belongs to you, my blood to the Emperor, my life to honor).

On the night of the second day, Lasalle’s men had still not been ordered to fight so Lasalle went to Marshal Masséna to ask permission to pursue the enemy. Masséna ordered him to go aid General MacDonald. Lasalle exclaimed, "The battle is almost finished and we are the only ones who have not contributed to the victory! Let’s go, follow me!" Lasalle was temporarily separated from his division and accidentally alerted a battalion of enemy infantry, so he charged them with the 1st Cuirassier Regiment. Lasalle was shot in the chest but continued to charge. The enemy infantry broke and was routed as Lasalle and regiment pursued them. As he charged, Lasalle was shot between the eyes by an Austrian grenadier and was killed instantly."
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Nice and great story as well. I'd be charging the otherway whilst smoking my pipe and muttering 'bugger that' but horses for courses I suppose.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

U....

Quite a pic and story - by any chance was that one from the series "Wine and Warfare"?
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Capn Jimbo wrote:U....

Quite a pic and story - by any chance was that one from the series "Wine and Warfare"?
Yes indeed....may I direct your attention to the beginning of the 2nd paragraph in my post, "Found in part 4 of the "Wine and Warfare" series I posted about,..." :D

Linkage for you good sir.