Black Bottle blended Scotch head-to-head comparison

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Uisge
Cap'n

Black Bottle blended Scotch head-to-head comparison

Post by Uisge »

I won't be adding a poll to this as it would not be fair due to the older version being no longer available, however, should one locate the 10 YO Black Bottle, buy it. It IS worth it, as the additional years in the cask have improved what is a good, young, blend.

I noted the following to both versions as follows;
Initial nose, Nose after sitting for 15 minutes, taste neat, taste with water, and finish.

Here are the two contestants with my tasting accoutrements;
a pair of Celtic Malts nosing glasses, a branded mini snifter (The MacTarnahans...what was a 15 YO single Malt Highland Scotch briefly offered by the craft beer maker out of Portland, OR. They still make beer, but are now part of Pyramid Ales) of distilled water, a wrapped straw from McDonald's to use as a dropper for the water (and keeping the Scottish theme going, 'natch) and a note pad and pen.

A closer look at the labels, upon where one notices that the 10YO is a higher % ALC at 43% to the youngster's 40%.

Last edited by Uisge on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Uisge
Cap'n

Black Bottle head-to-head comparison.Up first, the youngster

Post by Uisge »

I noticed that this one develops legs rather quickly, and they are rather thin, and that was the mouthfeel, too, in my mind.

Initial nose-
Pineapple, citrus (Lemon?), fresh sour Granny apples, hint of salt/seaweed/smoke.

Nose after 15 minutes-
Softened a little, slight hint of sweet cream

Taste neat-
Minor sourness with alcohol prickle, some grassiness, subdued caramel, then chile pepper, all in a short time.

Taste with Water-
Still has all the above, but the chile pepper heat is subdued, sweetness more apparent, and maybe a hint of black licorice?

Finish-
Fades a bit quickly after the pepper/heat, faintest hint of red berries (raspberries) in background, some cardboard/glue, celery, and then a mild, pleasant sourness.

Not bad at all, for a young blend. It does make you engaged in trying to follow the transitions in tastes.
Uisge
Cap'n

The 10 Year Old Black Bottle blend

Post by Uisge »

It takes a longer, unhurried time developing the legs, and a bit more substantial mouthfeel.

Initial Nose-
Citrus note is now joined by fragrant roses, some sea salt is still present, wood note (driftwood, dried pine, pine resin) and a sweet creaminess, no alcohol prickle noted

Nose after 15 minutes-
Stewed tart apples with honey join the above

Taste neat-
Tart apples, hint of malt vinegar, smoked ham, then a short transition from the citrus note to chile pepper heat appearing, then to ginger (brandied cherries?), and a comfy hint of smoke underlying it all.

Taste with Water-
Not that it needed it, but to have an "apples to apples" comparison...anyway, the creaminess from the nosing is there with the tangy tartness, and the transition is slowed a little bit and smoothed out to a savory sweet note, maybe a hint of milk-chocolate

Finish-
Longer finish than the younger version, especially after the sweet heat, and there is a not too sweet note present, not necessarily honey (I never cared for the taste of real honey, and tasting Baklava just about killed me with the sweetness) but something that makes you want to taste it again and again as it fades, and something akin to the glue on an envelope is at the very end.

I may not have enough apt descriptors, and I do apologize for that, but the older Black Bottle is a much more satisfying experience as a whole for me, and as such it is my preference of the 2.
Uisge
Cap'n

And a lagniappe

Post by Uisge »

I had to mention this, since I pointed out the MacTarnahan's mini snifter, that the man behind MacTarnahan's was a Robert Malcolm (Mac) MacTarnahan. He left this Earth back in 2004, but he led an impressive life, and I was fortunate enough to meet him at the Whisky Expo that was held in March of 2002 in San Francisco.

I was more familiar of him and the beer offerings via attending many Highland games in the San Francisco/South Bay Area and some in the Central Valley of California, particularly the Caledonian Club of San Francisco Highland Games, held roughly 25 miles South and East of "The City" at the fairgrounds in Pleasanton, where MacTarnahan's was a sponsor and sold their beer and t-shirts. I still have the nifty "Black Watch Cream Porter" black t-shirt I got probably just before 2000, and a pair of pint glasses, one for the Black Watch and one for the Amber Ale.

Anyhoo, RIP, "Mac"

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

FWIW....

I've missed my Black Bottle (not the 10), which I loved so much that it's very hard to pour the last few drams out it. No more. Perhaps the Unicorns of Scotland can be be praised as I actually found one of my favorite little Indian outlets closing out a few dusty bottles..

At fackin $14.95! I couldn't grab it fast enough. And now I can compare this bottle to my very old original...