Rum Review: Old Monk XXX Seven (7) Year Rum

Are these real rums? Is a chocolate flavored Bistec de Palomilla a steak? Maybe. Some are of lower proof. Some use real flavoring. And as for some, may we never drink worse than this!

How do you rate Old Monk XXX Seven (7) Year Rum (five is best)?

50%
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Old Monk XXX Seven (7) Year Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Old Monk XXX Seven (7) Year Rum: Spiced Rum Cake

Most of you know my well-taken position on the flavoring of rum and it's simple. If it's flavored, say so! Sadly, most - I repeat most - rums are secretly altered with additives, flavorings and spices; yet, the distillers persist in calling and selling these concocted drinks as "rum".

This is the main obstacle to rum really being the "noble spirit" in which dear Preacher Ed - and his rum ho buddies - would have you believe. To these promotors - the Preacher, the Badassitor Ambassador, the Queen, and the Burrnt Out Brothers - rum "is all good".

Too bad it isn't.

And that's why I very much like Old Monk XXX. Like Barbancourt Pango or Richard Seale's Foursquare there is no pretense, no questions asked. These are flavored rums, and they say so. Better yet, the flavorings are quite authentic and suffer not from the artificially adulterated machinations of the taste engineers.

It is important to realize that Old Monk XXX is a cultural phenomena in India, and is an award winner in its own right, winner of gold medals at the Monde World Selection. Like Wray & Nephews in Jamaica, Old Monk is a household word and possession in India. You can be sure the honest flavorings and spices used are completely authentic.

Enough. The reviews:

Sue Sea:
I am not a fan of sweet or flavored, but Old Monk XXX has found the harmony and balance that marks a good rum. Knowing its ethnic authenticity is a real plus. The bottle is unlike any you've seen, squat and textured, as if covered with a pattern of clusters of grape vines, and with a simple squarish label featuring, yes, an old monk, marked "7 years old blended, and with a "XXX Rum" in blood red on a black background. It is fabulous and authentic. The simple screw cap is appropriate.

I actually tasted this unique rum twice, some months ago and today. The first time the aroma struck me as a dark pruny raisin (deep dark fruit) with a bit of maple syrup, over a bed of molasses. Today I was immediately struck by its heaviness, pungent, with molasses, a hint of dunder, tad of cinnamon, brown sugar sweetness. Like a nice spice cake with a bit of maple syrup.

Old Monk XXX is entirely consistent throughout, the mark of good rums. The early palate features cinnamon, a nice heavy brown sugar, maple and a growing heat. At first I found the the finish short, with the heat well balanced with spicy sweetness. This made me reflect on the notion that hotter climates often feature foods with hot spices, with the premise that this hotness leads literally to a cooling sweat in the tropical climes.

I found Old Monk XXX to be done extremely well, a perfect balance of spice, sweet and heat. Unlike some rums - example Zacapa 23 - it is not too anything. It would make a nice after dinner experience, with lots of interesting and often unidentifiable flavors, and leaving a nice warm and glowing feeling.
Me:

As most of you know, I am a big, big fan of pure rums - thanks in no small part to the amazing Mr. Richard Seale. Pure rums are indeed a noble spirit, but until the industry recognizes the need for simple and honest labeling, rums will continue to exist in their nether world of unadmitted flavorings and adulteration.

I am also a big fan of history, tradition and culture and - just as much as I reject dishonesty in rum claims - I honor those rums that are clearly and openly labelled or described as flavored. Particularly those that are authentic. Rums like Pango, Coruba, Foursquare and...

Old Monk XXX Seven (7) Year.

I felt blessed indeed to come upon a very rare bottle of this rum, and at an altogether unavoidable price - about $15 as I recall. A no brainer. I knew its history and simply had to try a rum from outside of the Carribean. I knew of its history, tradition and cultural importance - factors which weigh heavily in my selections. Along with price, of course, as I try to represent the interests and tastes of the common man of uncommon tastes.

Public preference cannot and should not be underestimated.

Old Monk is a coppery amber, clear early in its life, not so clear later. An honest seven years old I'd say, and with medium fast legs and just a hint of a green edge, perhaps more golden green. Do pay particular attention to dear Sue Sea's notes, with which I am in accord.

The first time we tasted Old Monk I noted a deep, nasal prickle, and a wispy high nosing of vanilla (to which I have a particular sensitivity). The entry was smooth, sweet and creamy - entirely consistent - and with a growing peppery presence. I found the finish slightly astringent, with a leathery, molasses cigar box, warm peppery mouth and throat finish. And with a nice sweet, white or jalapeno lingering aftertaste.

On our current tasting I was struck by its deep sweet and spicy aromas, a black licorice and a sweet, tarry clove. Once again, the early smoothness was supplanted by a growing heat - black, white, jalapeno - but pleasantly balanced with Old Monk's spicy sweetness. It is important to note that many of the Indian spices that must undeniably inhabit this rum are truly unidentifiable and provide a mysterious and haunting background that keeps you returning to your glass.

Accordingly, Old Monk XXX Seven (7) Year truly stands alone and apart from any other rum. This could also be said for its aforementioned brethren - and sistren for that matter. It's the kind of rum that wont last long in your collection, and if you are so fortunate to find it, buy several - you may not see it again.

Ratings (10 is best): 7.
Garick
Oscar

Post by Garick »

Butterscotch and cardamom were the dominant flavours I noted. This rum is *wonderful*!

BTW, Jimbo, whilst I agree with you that flavourings should be admitted on the label, I am not so upset as long as the label doesn't claim 100% pure, no additives.

On that note: I don't see any admission (or denial) of flavoring on the Old Monk bottle. Why do they get a pass, and not others in this "grey area?"
Cheers,

Garick
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Short term memory is the first to go...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Garrick, you are right that the bottle does not indicate that it is flavored; however my very best recollection - now hazy - is that I found their website which stated that spices are added. It is also possible the label has changed - my first bottle of Monk is long gone. Compare to the many "rums" - also flavored - whose websites make no such admission.

Currently, I'd offer this...
Wiki: "Old Monk is a vatted Indian dark Rum, blended and aged for 7 years. It is a dark rum with a distinct vanilla flavour similar to other spiced rums, with an alcohol content of 42.8%. It is produced by Mohan Meakin, based in Mohan Nagar, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, available in all parts of India."
That was long ago. Today I simply could no longer find the website, so you'll have to trust my recollection. Confidence level = 80%. You decide...
Bearman
Cabin Boy

Re: Short term memory is the first to go...

Post by Bearman »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Garrick, you are right that the bottle does not indicate that it is flavored; however my very best recollection - now hazy - is that I found their website which stated that spices are added. It is also possible the label has changed - my first bottle of Monk is long gone. Compare to the many "rums" - also flavored - whose websites make no such admission.

Currently, I'd offer this...
Wiki: "Old Monk is a vatted Indian dark Rum, blended and aged for 7 years. It is a dark rum with a distinct vanilla flavour similar to other spiced rums, with an alcohol content of 42.8%. It is produced by Mohan Meakin, based in Mohan Nagar, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, available in all parts of India."
That was long ago. Today I simply could no longer find the website, so you'll have to trust my recollection. Confidence level = 80%. You decide...
After my initial ramble in the introductory section, this review caught my eye. This does sound like an adorable rum, so I did some research they have an active webpage: http://oldmonkrum.ee/en/index.html
I know it's a bit late but I thought, it might still be of interest to someone. Their product describtion goes like this:

PRODUCT QUALITIES

Old Monk Rum is classical 7 years old blended velvet smooth dark rum, with a hint of vanilla, it has an alcohol content of 42.8%. It’s taste is smooth, the fragrance is caramel - and the consistence is fine chocolate alike, it is suitable to enjoy as a long drink as well as a shot. With the first drop of Old Monk Rum, the sheer aroma of distilled cane sugar grown in lush green fields of India. Old Monk Rum is absolutely “eco” product, added no chemical components, it is the Drink of Gods and Lords of India.

So there you go. I think I might try this one.

Capn's Log: Old Monk stands alone as an example of what we think is an authentically flavored/spiced rum that reflect a style of spicing unique to India. It is lovely and interesting. See review...
thefatrumpirate

Post by thefatrumpirate »

I'm not sure whether Mohan Meakin have ever said their rum is "flavoured" or spiced.

There is nothing on the bottle to suggest it is. However, they do not advertise in any way. So they don't say it isn't flavoured either...... :wink:

To sell so much of this rum by basically doing nothing is a phenomenon

I really like the Old Monk. A nice refreshing change. As mentioned though it is REALLY easy to drink!