To buy or not to buy: Samaroli Rums

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Kevin
Swabbie

To buy or not to buy: Samaroli Rums

Post by Kevin »

My local liquor store just displayed several Samaroli Rums. One from Fiji, two Demerars ('88 and '95) and one just marked Caribbean. They are all over $100 and I wondered if anyone here has tried them. I like the idea of straight from the cask rums, unfiltered and not sweetened, but do they really deserve the expensive price tag? Any thoughts?
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

If you can afford them, go for them. They're excellent. PS, the "Caribbean" is really Cuban.
Kevin
Swabbie

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for the tip. Think I'll start with the Cuban.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Silvano Samaroli's rums are usually the real deal - not all casks have been absolutely amazing, but compared to commercial, big-brand rums they offer a whole different, unadulterated range of flavours - sans sugar..Recommended.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

I found a single bottle of the Caribbean 2003 today at a small store I visit a few times a year behind a glass case. It was listed at 99.99. After I inspected the bottle I found it was the newer release which was bottled in 2013 as opposed to the earlier release in 2011. The release is a total of 886 bottles this time from casks 1 & 2.

I went there after they put up a coupon for 15% off spirits purchase. So I feel I got this bottle at a great rate 85.00. A decent price better than anywhere else given the discount that I could find for the most aged recent release so it was an obvious buy.

I have been enjoying this one today and find it to be a bit better than the earlier release which was aged 8 years as opposed to the 10 year release. The prices don't seem to change at all on samaroli rum's even though the age does. so I just suggest you search out the bottles aged longer and bottled in 2013 for the American market. The gentleman at the store seemed fairly knowledgeable in these rums and said several more of the 2013 release of different variety will be there in the coming week so I may print out a new coupon and get another offering or so at a great price.
Kevin
Swabbie

Post by Kevin »

Good info. Thanks mamajuana.