Idiot's Review: Oscar Blues Dale's Pale Ale

The problem with beer was that it wouldn't survive a long voyage, ergo rum and other distilled spirits. Still, beer later became a wondrous thing, with each community having its own unique brewery and style. We were loyal! That changed, but of late, Craft Brewing appeared and gone mad - with over 3000 of the buggers and 100's of weekly new releases, ergo a blood, er beerbath is in the offing. Until then - this section...

How would you rate Oscar Blues Dale's Pale Ale (5 is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Idiot's Review: Oscar Blues Dale's Pale Ale

Post by Capn Jimbo »

First up: Dale's Pale Ale

American Pale Ale (APA) | 6.50% ABV

The Bear recommended 4 classes of beers to get started, one being a "Pale Ale", and recommending this one. To be fair, as relatively ignorant lovers a beer, our selections were pretty simple. When I was younger I loved spicy Mexican food with a Tecate (with a lime). Moosehead from Canada was nice. College drinking was limited to thin draft beers and Pittsburgh's Rolling Rock.

I later enjoyed many different beers at one of the first bars to feature the beers of the world (they used to brag that if you could name a beer they didn't have, you got a free one. I never was able. And let's not forget good Guinness draft at our local Irish pub.

These days it's Guinness for Sue Sea and Yuengling Black & Tan when the dollars are short. So today we started toward a new understanding.

Oscar Blues Dale's Pale Ale

We found ours at Total W&S in the form of a colorful 15oz can, straight from the refrigerator, and using two iced mugs that we store in the freezer.

The Dale's was poured carefully, straight down the mug, and created a tall, fine and fluffy head that only slowly dropped, thus the pours had to be in intervals. The color was a rich orangy amber, surprising and quite attractive - after all, by the name of the category we were expecting a light yellow American thin beer.

Pale Ale my arse, this was nice! The nose was lovely, what seemed an orangy hoppy, malty lemon bitters, clean and refreshing sensation. The palate was completely consistent, an lightly leathery orange rind, woody with a bit of bite, and leading to a dry and slightly tannic finish.

We'd offer descriptors as pleasant, cleansing, crisp, rich, robust and hearty, touch of bitter and dry. With time in the glass any tiny edges - which weren't bad anyway - smoothed out and the experience only improved.

Bear, great suggestion and a terrific surprise. Considering our complete lack of experience we won't even attempt to score it, but no matter.

Score: Let's leave it at we'd buy this one again...