Teacher's Highland Cream: a victim of the mega's?

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Dai
Minor God

Teacher's Highland Cream: a victim of the mega's?

Post by Dai »

Note: Dai's post was "split-off" from another thread to this section. It was originally posted as an alternative scotch blend to accompany Prince Albert pipe tobacco.

Teachers Highland Cream 45% single malt can't remember which malt though. Ardbeg or something similar sounding if memory serves me.

Just looked it up it's Ardmore malt!
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Dai thanks for the suggestion...

Actually we own a Teacher's (given to us by a friend) and yes, it might have done just as well as the JW Red with the Prince Albert burley pipe tobacco.

A minor correction and then a major observation. Teacher's (at 86 proof) is one of those very old and classic scotch blends, as was Johnny Walker. Sadly, both have been taken over by the mega's. Teacher's was known for its high percentage (45%) of two single malts in the blend: Ardmore (well peated), as you pointed out but also Glendronach (sherried). At a point Teacher's purchased Glendronach to insure a good supply of that sherried single malt.

The result: an old fashioned, in your face smokey/peaty blend with just enough sherry sweetness for a lovely balance. But per Jason (link), that has all changed.

Beam acquired Teacher's and in the usual profit grubbing fashion, decided to alter Teacher's by deemphasizing the peat, selling off Glendronach, and then substituting another sherry based malt from their own portfolio. The result:

Another classic destroyed by the accountants. Jason advise all to look for a Teacher's from 2010 or earlier. The same has occurred with the once famous peat bomb, the Black Grouse blend, also now sherried to death, after 2007.

Note: Beam was then acquired by megashark Suntory for billions, yet another dilution.
http://jason-scotchreviews.blogspot.ca/ ... rouse.html
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Thanks for the heads up!

I've probably seen some of these on shelves, and had no idea.

I'll keep my eye out going forward.