Just Getting Started

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
DEF
Cabin Boy

Just Getting Started

Post by DEF »

Been drinking rum for many decades. Finally decided to get serious about it.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A big welcome to DEF, with whom I've exchanged a few private emails. I do hope all of us (beyond Sue Sea and I) can help you out here. In truth we can all help one another.

Rum making has a long and illustrious history but unlike whisky is not a "noble spirit". "Rum" was and remains a rogue spirit with a long history of alteration, flavoring and spicing. That tradition continues to the present with many products labeled "rum" actually containing unlabeled (and unlawful) additives and artificial liquid flavorings and spices to "tweak" the profile for purely marketing purposes.

The most common of these are sugar, and artificial vanilla and other liquid flavorings.

Fortunately there are a number of "rum" products that are pure and unadulterated and these are well worth your time. Richard Seale and his Foursquare distillery in Barbados is one of the leading proponents of making honest and pure products which can stand shoulder to shoulder with the finest whiskeys.

It behooves you to be aware of this cheating and to become a proponent for honesty in labeling and purity in production.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A big welcome to DEF, with whom I've exchanged a few private emails. I do hope all of us (beyond Sue Sea and I) can help you out here. In truth we can all help one another.

Rum making has a long and illustrious history but unlike whisky is not a "noble spirit". "Rum" was and remains a rogue spirit with a long history of alteration, flavoring and spicing. That tradition continues to the present with many products labeled "rum" actually containing unlabeled (and unlawful) additives and artificial liquid flavorings and spices to "tweak" the profile for purely marketing purposes.

The most common of these are sugar, and artificial vanilla and other liquid flavorings.

Fortunately there are a number of "rum" products that are pure and unadulterated and these are well worth your time. Richard Seale and his Foursquare distillery in Barbados is one of the leading proponents of making honest and pure products which can stand shoulder to shoulder with the finest whiskeys.

It behooves you to be aware of this cheating and to become a proponent for honesty in labeling and purity in production.