The Griffin's Piramide Robusto (Maduro)

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.
da'rum
Minor God

The Griffin's Piramide Robusto (Maduro)

Post by da'rum »

I splurged out and bought one of these even though it was a bit more expensive than I usually buy. It was 9€. I then got home and read reviews on it and was disappointed to find that the reviews were hit and miss. Some loved them some said boring and over priced.

So needless to say I lit up with trepidation.

But first back to the beginning;

Length- 140 mm
Diameter- 21mm- Ring Gauge 38/52
Wrapper- Connecticut, Broadleaf USA
Binder- Connecticut Equador
Filler-Dominincan

A nice build without flaws and a sweet rich aroma.

On light up, a touch of pepper but just a touch that almost immediately disappeared to be replaced by a deep rich Burley or pressed Virginia taste like that of Petersons 3 P's plug pipe tobacco. So a nut shell, leather sweetness with hints of sweet fresh mowed hay.
It was unbelievably pleasant and cool. Great flavour and burn although I did do two touch ups to arrest a slight crooked burn. Draw was tending on the tighter side and smoke volume in the middle range.

After the first third nothing had changed and I was thinking to myself this is a one dimensional cigar but in a good way. Good in the way that if you're going to make a one dimensional cigar then do it well and they did. The Burley taste was top class with the afore mentioned hints of sweet Virginia coming through.

At about half way I realised my mistake as this was changing, it was changing guard from the predominant Burley which was rapidly taking a back seat to the lighter and sweeter Virginia. This change was perfectly executed and I had a couple of eyebrow raising moments of pure satisfaction. There is absolutely zero pepper in this cigar from just after light up to nub.

The Virginia held until the end about 60 minutes of pure enjoyment. I even stuffed the last inch in my pipe and smoked it to the last centimetre.

So, A two dimensional cigar of top class the tobacco used is obviously great quality. This is verging on expensive at 9€ so not a regular smoke. However thoroughly recommended.

I rate this cigar on first smoke different but great class against my bench mark cigar the My fathers le Bijou Robusto

I gave that cigar 8/10 and I'd have to say this could not be scored any lower than that. I will smoke another in a month or so and if I enjoy it just as much again then I will adjust that score higher.

Cheers

You can read the full review on my blog;
www.ohwaitIdonthaveabloodyblog.com
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks...

...look forward to the follow-up...