Lane tobacco: HGL

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Lane tobacco: HGL

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Lane is known to most pipe smokers...

...and they should be. Their 1Q is the #1 top selling blend in the world and has been for quite some time. Lane is the next step up from OTC pip tobaccos (which are not all that bad in the first place). Lane uses better tobaccos and less PG, better flavorings, et al. Although many of the many Lane blends are aromatic there are a few that aren't.

HGL may be one of them and is listed at tobacco.reviews with a solid 2.7 (which would be higher except for reviewer prejudice), and is alleged to be composed of Burley, Cavendish, Virginia, and Latakia. Per Pipes & Cigars:
"HGL is a mixture of toasted Cavendish laced with Mountain Latakia, then blended with White Burley and golden Virginia to produce a sweet, fuller-bodied smoke, yet cool and slow burning. This was the personal blend of Herman G. Lane, the man who made Lane Limited what it is today."
In the trade the HGL is called a "crossover" blend, which means a transition to the latakia based English blends (that are mostly non-aromatic). Accordingly the HGL has only a touch of latakia as a "condiment", and enough to get the idea, ergo a "crossover".

A notable number of reviewers (some of whom know Lane reps) insist that the HGL is no more or less than the well know RLP-6, which they allege is the same blend sans the touch of latakia. Other long time RLP smokers insist that this claim is untrue.

As for me, I own both the aromatic RLP-6 and the HGL and I'm with the latter crowd. I believe the HGL is lightly aromatic, but would add that the latakia component is minimal. I was able to pick up the burley, the cavendish, the Virginia and even a sense of the latakia - as promoted, as delivered.

It is quite pleasant, complex by design but not extreme insofar as any component. Smokeheads will not be pleased, nor will aromatic smokers but the HGL is a well-integrated compromise. HGL has also been called a "Magnum Opus Lite", referring to H&H's highly respected Marquee Series Magnum Opus which is "... a blend of Cyprian Latakia, excellent yellow Virginias from the U.S. and Bulgaria, Izmir, Basma and the “Queen of Tobaccos”, Yenidje and with Perique to give it more depth and smoothness.". I did a bowl of MO after the HGL and that comparison is not far off (though I'd start with the HGL).

Recommended.