Cigar Review: Gurka Class Regent Gran Robusto

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.

How do you rate Gurka Class Regent Gran Robusto (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Cigar Review: Gurka Class Regent Gran Robusto

Post by Capn Jimbo »

GurkaClass Regent Gran Robusto

"Gurka Class Regent Gran Robusto: $11.00, solid 90+ scores, Honduran maduro wrapper, Nicaraguan and Dominican filler. The Dominican makes this a medium bodied cigar, balanced and complex. Considered uniquely intricate and complex, but still enjoyable. "
This Gurka was one of the two "10 for $10" cigars we were eagerly awaiting. It is considered a premium cigar and in terms of build, appearance and burn it certainly is. Not only is it square-pressed, it's actually a rectangle, with a wide side and a narrow. Lovely dark wrapper. But all told, although I have no doubt this is indeed a "90+", it is also described as "bold to heavy". What does this mean? It basicly means that unless you are prepared to smacked in the face with both nicotine and hot, hot pepper better find something else.

Our review:

First the shape and color which are unique and intriguing. From the deep raw aroma, to the rectangular shape, to the light, the burn, and the ash - all first class. The early puffs present chocolate, cigar box (cedar), walnut, deep spices, cacao, salty grape leaf, an oily feel, and both white pepper (Sue Sea) and black (moi).

Robust but smooth, and moving for me into cedar, increased spices, coffee, and vegetal tones. A smooth retro-hale with black pepper, cacao and coffee. However when passing the halfway mark the description of "bold to heavy" begins to mean something. At this juncture this cigar lifts off like the space shuttle, slowly but smoothly accelerating faster and faster, stronger and stronger. It was not long before an ashy, dry intense pepperiness takes over.

At a point both Sue Sea and I experienced a retro-hale that was actually peppery painful. I'm serious. This effect became so dominant that we simply had to stop. BTW, this was reminiscent of a VERY expensive Arturo Fuente Opus X we once tried. When a cigar becomes that "bold" - at least for us - it's time to fold em.

So we did. Our conclusion: if you're really into "bold, heavy and intense pepper" this is your cigar. The first third or half is lovely; after that it's bar the door, Martha...

Rating: not rated, as the strength of this cigar is beyond our ability to tolerate or honestly rate. A lover of "bold and heavy" might adore it. Sorry.