Review: Jack Daniels Old No. 7 Tennessee Whiskey

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...

How do you rate Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Tennessee Whiskey

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Jack Daniels Old No. 7 Tennessee Whiskey

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Jack Daniels Old No. 7 Tennessee Whiskey: not just for bikers...

For the monkeys, Jack Daniels Old No. 7 seems to have changed very little, with the exception of being sold now at 80 proof. The black label, the ubiquitous "Jack and Coke", and a reputation as THE biker bar drink. Heck, you don't even need a glass, right? So what makes "Jack" different from bourbon?

Ten feet of good maple charcoal, a claimed million dollars of it every year. The newly distilled spirit is filtered slowly through the charcoal before being stored in charred new oak. The big mystery is age. The distiller specifically doesn't say, and the net isn't much help either, which leaves us to speculate from the regulations which state that 4 years in oak means you don't have to state an age (younger spirits must). I did find an interesting comment:
"Tennessee Whiskey must be aged 48 months in the charred oak to be called aged whiskey and not have to specify an age. Anything less must state so - thus the Dickel 3 Year. Jack Old number 7 used to be 7 years old, no longer, it's 48 months and a day before it's bottled. This will vary by a couple of days of course.

My cousin was employed there for about 6 years, according to him "Back in the day, Green label was the 48 month, Black label 7 years; as Jack Daniel Brand changed ownership repeatedly production overruled quality. You see the results today, both are 48 month whiskeys, the green from "unworked" barrels that come from cooler spots in cooler warehouses. Black Label from the better worked Barrels. If you've ever been to Lynchburg you can probably tell the "HOT" houses on the hilltops"
http://bourbonandwhiskey.com/tennesee_w ... hiskey.htm

So? I'll stick my neck out and call Jack Daniels Old No 7 to be 4 years old. On to the reviews:

Sue Sea:
"Normally I like to describe the bottle, as presentation is part of my experience but in this case, the Jack Daniels Black Label is so well known that you probably know it better than I. I will say there is something comforting about such an old and classic bottle that brings back any number of memories. Still, I must admit that I never really imbibed any of Old No. 7, mostly because I somehow associated it with Crown Royal and some of the other Canadian whiskies of those days.

The Jack Daniels Old No. was really quite a surprise. The nose opened with dark cherry, leather, smoky hickory (yes, I know it's made with maple), and some dark fruits in a pruney, raiseny, figgy way. The palate entry was surprisingly subtle, a peachy pear with a building spiciness of ginger and clove and a heat growing smoothly to a nice white pepper or possibly jalapeno lingering finish. Very nice!

In sum, I was very pleasantly surprised by this very smooth, well made, and easy drinking whisky. It build nicely from nose to finish as good spirits should."
Moi: While I was in the Early Time mini mode (99 cents), I couldn't help but also pick up a 50ml mini of Jack Daniel's Old No. 7. Like Sue Sea I too never, ever even considered what I considered a product designed for drinking from the bottle, lol. Old No. 7 presents as a brilliant clear amber. Nosing revealed tarry deep fruit, old leather, and a light charcoal smoke. The palate was consistent with an nice oily fruit and a bit of thin honey. White pepper moved to the fore in the mid-palate, as well as a mild new leather astringency, whereupon the ending brings forth the reappearance of the dark fruit not over what is now a hint of remaining leather. Nice white pepper, slightly astringent finish and whoops! Back to a deep fruit aftertaste.

Personally, I was very taken with the interesting interplay between lightly sweet and deep fruit, with astringent dry leather and peppery heat, though some may feel this is bordering on choppy. A few more years in the barrel would smooth those transitions, but it's important to appreciate this one for what it is: a remarkably smooth but still lively 4 year old.

Score (10 is best): Sue Sea- 8, Moi - very strong 7.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

What ever happened to producing a drink or food to a particular taste, then letting that be it's own best marketing?
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition