Socrates speaks: a dream pipe arrives!

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Socrates speaks: a dream pipe arrives!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

From the time this section began...

...and based on my heritage, I've always coveted a Greek pipe made from good Greek briar. This is not as easy as it seems. Most Greek pipes are either expensive, or VERY expensive. They are almost impossible to find from the usual vendors, and even if one could figure out how to conclude a purchase direct from an artisan, you'd be looking at least $100 or likely more, and then there is substantial shipping from overseas.

Some weeks ago I'd been checking Ebay for auctions about to expire and found a very lightly used Pipex and won it for just $17.95 including shipping. Research (in translated Greek) indicated this was a good maker, the pics were clear and attractive, and the description claimed light use. But of course you never know, but for $17.95 I gladly took my chances. Best yet, it was exactly the kind of rusticated and substantial pipe that you'd expect to see in the mouth of a grizzled old Greek fisherman.

Today it arrived, and here it is...

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

By Stefanou Pipex, AR-3, 6" x 2" x 1-1/4"
Greek briar harvested from the forests of Arta, Olympia and Evia
The fit of the stem and finish are exceptional. Draw hole perfectly placed.
http://www.stefanou-pipex.gr/english.htm

As you can see the stem looks almost new, and the cake was very minimal, and the rim slightly blackened. From my refurbing of the Fiammata and of the Falcon I know this one will clean up dramatically, with its rich deep red and black rustication. It's already rather lovely. Bowl opening is about 7/8" x 1-3/8".

Can't wait to light this one up...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Nice one. Lets us know how it smokes
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

nice looking pipe.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

All cleaned up and polished...

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

...by far the best find to date, and in the best condition. Just love it. The pics don't really reveal the lovely deep red highlights intersperced with the black rustification. Lovely Greek pipe...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Nice job! It gives the appearance of being a good smoker with an open draw.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

First smoke...

...with a bowl full of Prince Albert, a burley forward OTC known for its easy gravity, pack, nice burn. Da'rum, I don't how you did it but you called it insofar as the easy draw! How did you know?

The bowl is a tapered bowl, and as the Godz are my witness, the draw hole could not be more perfectly made - at the exact center and exact bottom of the bowl.

I smoked the Prince Albert to the bottom, which left just a bit of dollop and wetness, but I'd say the shape of this pipe kept things dry. The Greek shapes have a robust form, in this case what I'd call a half-bent squat apple (similar to the Italian Savinelli 613, but squatter with a particularly Greek thick short shanki, and wide saddle bit. My theory is that what dottle does collect doesn't make it up the incline.

This squat Greek apple fits the palm perfectly, and can be clenched. The burn was impressive which meant it was possible to set it down now and again, without losing the light. The draw was extremely easy, which oddly enough made sipping easier as well.

All told, I'd recommend this pipe to anyone. It has a well done Greek artisan quality to it, no inlays, no silver, no fancy stem alteration. This will be one of my go-to pipes...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

One final observation and a question...

Both Sue Sea and I enjoy artistic endeavors, and pipemaking surely is one. Just like there is a Danish, English or Italian style, I am convinced there is a Greek style which really conveys a very long history. The Danish are often pointed flights of fancy, the English a bit quiet and austere, and the Italian just a bit racy.

This pipe is a good example of cultural style. For example the classifications of pipe styles at Pipedia put forth a number of basic styles which in one way or another come close - but still don't quite capture this pipe. These include the egg (too tall), the billiard (straighter), the apple (more rounded on top), even the oom-paul (and it's somewhat flattened bottom, but not in its full bend). The ball shape is way too round, but does have a similar thick stem, as does the author.

But none of these styles quite capture the "Greekness" of this pipe. After LOTS of thought and comparison, I believe the apple or perhaps a billiard-top, apple-bottom combination comes close, with a half-bent author stem, and wide-saddle bit. That's still confusing though. Perhaps it's better just to call it Greek. And what is that to me?

The chunky rustification. The thick squat and balanced half-bent shank, with its strong extension into a graceful saddle bit. The lack of doodads, silver or inlays. A design that reflects the Greek briar, the history, that manages to be strong and hefty, yet still graceful. The terrific craftsmanship, fit, finish, bowl and precise draught hole. While those may be the elements, still I really can't say why, it just looks and feels "Greek" to me. It simply looks like it belongs in the mouth of an old Greek fisherman sitting on a seawall.

Any other thoughts on this particular example? Oh and again d..., you predicted this one would be an easy draw (and it was) - how did you come to that?

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Shapes
http://fujipub.com/ooops/pipeshap.html#menuidentifying
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I guessed it would have an open draw just by the shape. Wide low bowl shank angle etc but really just a guess as the drilling could have been rubbish and made it awful.

I'm not convinced of a national style per se, I would agree that cultural flair finds it's way into some pipe makers personal style though.

I did think that your pipe may have been refurbished by sanding a portion of the rim of the bowl away as is sometimes done when the wood is scorched or cracked. It strikes me as being noticeably low. It could just have been made as is but the low bowl height may explain why you're finding it difficult to place it in a standard shape group.

Edit; on a second look over the pics the very first pic shows that if there was any rim sanding then it was very minor and more than likely just a cosmetic touch up.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

d...

...I think you're right here. The rim was not sanded in my opinion. To be sure I measure my good briars for overall height (exterior) of the bowl.

1. Savinelli bent Dublin: 1-3/4"
2. Fiammata Poker: 1-3/4"
3. Stanwell Billiard: 1-3/4

And finally this Greek Pipex "squat" Apple: believe it or not 1-7/8"! What we have here is an optical illusion. the pipe does indeed look squat and appears shorter, but in fact it is actually a bit taller.

The reason: what I am calling a Greek style - at least for this one - is the fact that unlike the others which feature a typical diameter shank, the Greek Pipex features what to me is an extremely bulky, thick shank whose bend carries into the bottom of the bowl, thus actually increasing the actual height (which is belied by its visual impression). Tie that super thick shank with an equally oversize saddle bit and voila - the visual impression of squatness.

I like it's visual squat, considerable and comfortable heft.