And I thought I had it all with scotch and bourbon.....!

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
DiploMATTico
Oscar

And I thought I had it all with scotch and bourbon.....!

Post by DiploMATTico »

Hello all! I am lucky, so very lucky!!! I have just began the journey with aged rum and it has been awesome so far.

A long time micro brew guy since college in early nineties. then in the last 7 years a scotch and bourbon disciple. I thought I was through until just about 4 months ago when I was recommended a diplomatico reserva exclusiva after dinner. I was blown away.

I went out the next day and bought a bottle of Plantation 5 year barbados and was hooked. So here I am, taken by rum hook, line and sinker.

I am amazed at the complexity, character, uniqueness to origin and value so many aged bourbons

So far in my stable I have had and or presently have:

diplomatico reserva
diplomatico reserva exclusiva
el dorado 12
el dorado 8
plantation 5 year barbados
Ron Zacapa 23
Doorley's XO
Angostura 1919
Flor de cana 7
Flor de cana centenario 12
r.l. seales
fortuna 8
barbancourt 5 star 8
Kaniche reserve
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Welcome...

Hope you enjoy the ride!
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Welcome.

Some sugar bombs in that lot. I thought DRE was ok too at first until I discovered real and better rums.

As ol' Cap says "enjoy the ride"
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Welcome.
Nice collection of rums. Though I must warn you, you will find a few posts about sugar in some of the rums you have. Don't let that put you off though everyone is different and no one forces there opinions on anyone in this forum, but you have been warned. It is refreshing to see others coming over to rum from bourbons and whisky though. I hope you find a lot more to your liking.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
DiploMATTico
Oscar

saw sugar added post and found it fascinating.

Post by DiploMATTico »

Thanks Dai.

and yes my collection now is full of sweeter rums. I actually at this point in my adventure find them offensive YET!!! many are reserved for an after dinner sipper and would agree that over time may become cloying in their sweetness.

As I tasted many of these like diplomatico reserva exclusive, eldorado 12 and ron zacapa i was at first amazed how sweet they were and then honestly thought that there is no way a truly distilled product would take on this amount of sweetness from barrel aging alone. In fact I found this site by googling aged rum ingredients due to my skepticism.

so my journey begins and would love some recommendations on les sweet rums. Right now the flor de cana 7, r.l. seales and the barbancourt 5 star seem the least sweet.

Also I am a huge fan of big rye whiskeys like willets family reserve and peat bomb single malts the likes of laphroaig quarter cast, ardbeg and lagavulin so I would love to explore the non adulterated straight rums. recommendations please!
Dai
Minor God

Re: saw sugar added post and found it fascinating.

Post by Dai »

DiploMATTico wrote:Thanks Dai.

and yes my collection now is full of sweeter rums. I actually at this point in my adventure find them offensive YET!!! many are reserved for an after dinner sipper and would agree that over time may become cloying in their sweetness.

As I tasted many of these like diplomatico reserva exclusive, eldorado 12 and ron zacapa i was at first amazed how sweet they were and then honestly thought that there is no way a truly distilled product would take on this amount of sweetness from barrel aging alone. In fact I found this site by googling aged rum ingredients due to my skepticism.

so my journey begins and would love some recommendations on les sweet rums. Right now the flor de cana 7, r.l. seales and the barbancourt 5 star seem the least sweet.

Also I am a huge fan of big rye whiskeys like willets family reserve and peat bomb single malts the likes of laphroaig quarter cast, ardbeg and lagavulin so I would love to explore the non adulterated straight rums. recommendations please!
I've made a list (not my list) that's fairly easy to read that might help.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vQG ... sp=sharing

the list gives a run down on who adds stuff and who doesn't.

(Rare) Capn's Log: and yet another good and valuable link and piece of work by our other "Minor God", Dai!

DiploMATTico
Oscar

Post by DiploMATTico »

its amazing how quickly your taste will level off. I have a bottle of diplomatico reserva exclusiva which i was bonkers about a couple months ago when i first tasted it when starting to drink aged rum. i haven't had in a month or so and have had a number of quality aged rums since. I just tasted and I shit you not nearly spit it in the sink. not what i was looking for at the moment. it would be great as an aperitif instead of sambuca but wow thats sweet.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

DiploMATTico wrote:its amazing how quickly your taste will level off. I have a bottle of diplomatico reserva exclusiva which i was bonkers about a couple months ago when i first tasted it when starting to drink aged rum. i haven't had in a month or so and have had a number of quality aged rums since. I just tasted and I shit you not nearly spit it in the sink. not what i was looking for at the moment. it would be great as an aperitif instead of sambuca but wow thats sweet.
I dare say that we tend to find our tastes change the more rum we try. Might just be what you prefer on any particular day. Lot's of things effect our palate.