John Glaser: a true artist speaks...

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

John Glaser: a true artist speaks...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Most of you know and respect John Glaser...

...of Compass Box. In these videos he discusses his viewpoint toward whisky, blending, the SWA and issues that concern him...

Part One:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YyQQjMlRb4

Part Two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5iIcDIuEAU#t=158

Both were conducted by Whiskycast, by an interviewer who is whisky-literate and engaging. I presume this thread will lead to more discussion after we have a chance to view and digest them...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

About Part 1...

I urge you to spend the mere 12 minutes it will require to listen to this part. You'll get a sense of how John started (very small) and how Compass Box grew. You'll learn the evolution from making a series of unrelated one-offs to his Great King brand, which began with the Artist's edition, then through two experimental versions - one sherry based, one Islay based - and both contributing to the next in the Great King series, called the Glasgow edition.

John speaks here too regarding the history of blands, er blends from the 50's and 60's when drinkers wanted lighter whiskies, and from whence the now iconic blends developed. He noted that many of those blends - even through today - are say 60 to 70% grain whisky compared to what he believes the market now really desires which is just the reverse, with 60 to 70% being single malts.

I won't spoil all the surprises, but please! Don't miss this video.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And Part 2...

Here John speaks of the seminal moment when the SWS threatened a lawsuit regarding the original Spice Tree, and how it finally made it to market. He speaks of the very limited quantities of the special malts and grain whiskies required for some of the one-offs and how the scarcity of them makes reissues hard.

Of particular interest is a piece on how he proceeds to taste the blends components - all the way from barrel strength down to - are you well seated? - down to 20% (adding water) so he can "really see what's in there". This is actually a good plug for adding a bit of water, even just drops, to all the whiskies we taste.

Another amazing moment is when John answers the question "...what is the smallest amount of a component malt you've ever used in a blend?". The answer is surprising. Has he ever considered using an American whisky in a blend? You'll find out. Glaser does state that single malts as a group make available the broadest spectrum of profiles of any spirit (I agree).

An extremely interesting bit is when John discusses history and tradition insofar as many of the brands we may know and love. Perhaps the most interesting segment is the last, where Glaser makes clear that his independent success and mission has caused him to turn down multiple offers.

Chip Tate could learn a thing or three here...