Wood's 100 Old Navy Rum

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How would you rate Wood's Navy Rum?

No votes
No votes
No votes
100%
No votes

Total votes: 1

The Black Tot
Admiral

Wood's 100 Old Navy Rum

Post by The Black Tot »

My review of Wood's 100 Old Navy Rum:

Well, I just got off of a 3 month trip at sea, only to get off and come home for a rest...

...or not. As it turns out, I'll be having a total of 36h off before flying to my next six week job. What to do? Well, in my one business day, I got a filling at the dentist, a haircut, and I opened a bank account...

...and then I bought a bottle of Wood's 100 Old Navy Rum to have a celebratory tipple before reality once again yawns before me.

It's easy to see what attracted me to this bottle. It was sitting on the supermarket shelf, and it said the magic words: Demerara, and "Export Strength".

In the glass, this one is an adorable rich dark amber. Added caramel? Probably. Let's be real here, this rum costs 20GBP. But it's damned pretty.

On the nose: Aaaah. That Demerara scent. Like a cross between a sweet orange, caramel, and a bit of loamy earth in there for good measure.

Tasting: Quite a satisfying sipper for those who have already come to the Demeraran style via more elegant (and even flavor engineered - hey, that's how some of us got here) offerings. The taste adds a little barrel flavor to what the nose suggests and follows with a very pleasant and lingering peppery burn, no doubt related to the 114 proof on this expression. The finish eventually quiets down to a wonderful raisin (d'etre?)

This rum is like Pussers' rougher cousin, who is never going to make officer but all the cadets can instantly see he's the saltiest dog in the mess hall - and on the rare occasion when he sees fit to tell a story the power of your worldview will be much expanded if you are willing to embrace the corresponding loss of innocence...

Oh yes, I'll be buying more of this, and I think it's going to be a viciously flavorful base for many manner of tiki drinks which will benefit from the Demeraran influence.

Is it a pure rum? I have no idea, and I also doubt it. But is it a Demerara 114 proof roller coaster for 20GBP? Mais oui. By all means tell me about this rum's dirty secrets if you know it's adulterated - I won't cry, and I'd absolutely like to know.

For 40 GBP, this one might score a 3.5 out of 5, just because it is unrestrained, brash, and unapologetic - it's got a young feel to it. For 20GBP, I'll be having a case of this on hand at all times, and both sipping and mixing with it proudly and extensively. The sheer value pushes this to a conservative 4.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks...

Nice review, fun writing. Sue Sea and I have always wanted to try this one, but at least more recently have never seen one. A question: inasmuch as this is an OP, if you haven't already, could you try another dram with a bit of added water just to see what happens? At this proof, Ralfy would use a teaspoon or even two (per ounce).

Thanks again, love to hear what happens...
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Jimbo, I'll do this, but it will likely have to happen in January.

The Jethro Tull (Stand Up) is on the stereo, and I'm afraid I'm happily by now past the point of objectivity.

Time to thow some more sundries into a sea bag and get back to the grind...
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Again in a rush, but Woods DESTROYS ED 5 and 8. I wish we could get it stateside
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Never thought of Woods as a sipper.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

May I ask a favor...

Since Sue Sea and I have yet to taste this one, we can't rate it, and thus can't see the scores. Would one of you kind gentleman please relate the votes made so far? Thanks...
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Dai wrote:Never thought of Woods as a sipper.
It's not, but I don't think of ED 5 or 8 that way either, really (too insipid), and in cocktails it blows those away.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

It depends on what you're going for with your sipping, I think.

It's not elegant - I believe I made that point. So no, it's not for "pinkies out" type sipping, if that's the only type of sipping you're into :)

Sometimes I want something to be a little bold and brash. This fits that bill. It's a navy rum. In my opinion, it has enough character to be enjoyed neat, and indeed that's how exactly how I enjoyed it thoroughly on Wednesday.

As Hassouni has confirmed, Wood's definitely has the characteristics to put a fantastic Demeraran spine into a mixed drink as well.

Only one vote so far, Cap'n - I gave it a 4/5, boosted by character and value, but restrained for its rough edges.