Estate Finds: Three nice pipes...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Estate Finds: Three nice pipes...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Here's a few very nice finds...

First is a Butz Choquin Cocarde 1604, a French pipe. It's nice and light, easy clench, looks and feels like a smaller Prince-sized but is has a full size bowl due to its thin walls (7/8 x 1-1/2'). $10 plus shipping:

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

Next up is a Vauen Luxus 3604 White Dot. This a lovely, swoopy German style, nice wide clenchable bit, 3/4 x 2" bowl. The white dot series is Vauen's best, chosen for best grain and workmanship. About $15 plus shipping as I recall:

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

Last but certainly not least is actually a famous designer pipe by Tom Spanu. Spanu is highly respected, with his designs completely handmade, no machine work whatever. He loves unusual woods and combination; creating both fanciful freehands as well as stylized classic shapes. They retail from $200+ to well over $1000 and are rather rare:

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

This pipe is his "Olivastra" series, made from carved from olive wood (note the natural olive color) and with some spectacular stem work. Please note the slightly curved short stem, and the inlaid briar rim on the bowl (the rest of the pipe is all olive wood, including the bowl itself. Olive wood is known to be a fine smoke. Because it is more porous than briar, it tends to darken nicely with use and age, evident here. Despite its bulk, it is shorter and clenches well, with a 3/4 x 2" bowl. I'll guess it's new value around $250 or so. I was very lucky in that this Spanu is not a well known pipe (like a Dunhill, Peterson or a better Stanwell or Savinelli). Accordingly it had only one bid (around $19), which I managed to snipe at $35. This was a terrific value.

All of the above cleaned up very nicely as you can see. All seem well made, with good air hole placement and a good draw. All have good grain, and I believe all would resell now on Ebay for significant profit, particularly the Spanu.

http://tomspanupipe.com/
(...worth a visit)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Of these three pipes, the one that really appeals to me is the swoopy German Vauen White Dot. Lovely color and grain, and it just looks so, well, German (which reminds me of part of my family history, along with the Greek pipe).

Just for fun, I plan to try selling the other two on Ebay as a test of my buying prowess...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Let us know how you do. I'm not a fan of Vauen but not for any sane reason. It's just that they are mass produced and dominate displays in most shops. I have heard both good and bad about varying models. I haven't heard of the last one but Butz Choquin are a well known and reputable brand. Let's see if you turn a profit!
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I know what you mean - Vauen makes a huge number of models, some quite funky and fun. However the White Dot line is their best, and is alleged to sport the best briar, workmanship, et al. It's very nice.

I will agree with you on the Butz - I had a chance to finally smoke it and it was terrific. I've smoked Lane's HGL in a couple other pipes, but the Butz was so superior it seemed like a completely different tobacco. I should note it has a "stinger" - a thin metal insert at the inner end of the stem, which is designed to prevent any nasty fluids from getting past it. It works - at the end of the smoke I began to notice some gurgling, but not a whisper made it up the stem.

I'd also exclaim its light weight and short Billiard, Princelike appearance.