Samaroli 17 Year Old Caol Ila

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Hassouni
Minor God

Samaroli 17 Year Old Caol Ila

Post by Hassouni »

Holy crap, buy this whisky!! It's ungodly expensive, but worth it. I tried this in the same session as MG1703, and wowww.

Caol Ila 12 might be my favorite standard whisky (I know...Diageo....), and this Samaroli has that Caol Ila character going on, but so much more, and totally uncut.

It had the standard Caol Ila peat and malt flavors, but was drier, almost bitter and astringent, and MUCH more intense in every aspect across the board, which is interesting, because it was not particularly overproof, if at all.

I would serve the OB to a non-whisky drinker as an intro to Islay whiskies, but the Samaroli would overpower them. It didn't have that lovely medicinal weirdness of Laphroaig that puts some people off, but it was just so intense. Standard Caol Ila reminds me a wood fire, or properly smoked barbecue...the Samaroli was more like a bonfire with wet leaves thrown on or something.

I had it two days ago and not in a tasting glass or anything, but again: wow. If you see it anywhere and you like Islay whiskies, you must try it.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I have no doubts that you are 100% right.

Many of us cave a little and dance with the devil once in a while.

For me, I like the odd Orphan Barrel bourbon.

I envy you that Coal Ila! I promised myself I would find a smaller independent substitute sometime over the next few years. There MUST be one!
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

I believe Kilchoman is the only independent distiller on Islay. Bruichladdich was for a while, but got bought by Remy Cointreau about a year ago. Another option for an independently distilled peated whisky would be Springbank's Longrow series.

I hate to say it, but unlike rum, as far as malt whisky goes, Diageo takes pretty good care of its producers.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Thanks for the head start, Hassouni.

I hear you on the malt side of D, and like I say, I can't say anything to anyone since I buy their Orphan Barrel bourbons. But I'm trying to keep it to a minimum.