Rum Review: Doorly's XO Rum

Barbados: the defacto home of the original reference classic rum as we know it. God bless the Queen! And Mount Gay!

How do you rate Doorly's XO Rum (5 is best)?

No votes
88%
13%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Doorly's XO Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Doorly's XO Rum: "Smokey Apricot"

I'm pleased to be able to post a review long in coming. I'd become aware of this well regarded rum from the house of Seale and completely fulfilled my requirements for a purchase: well reviewed and regarded, commonly available and very fairly priced. Sue Sea and I also enjoyed this rum at Robert Burr's tasting of the rums of Barbados, attended by Richard Seale himself. Although we've done a number of tastings over the past few months, none had been "official" and recorded. This one was:

Sue Sea:
I have to admit we both really love Richard Seales and have come to have the highest respect for his products.

Doorly's XO has a beautiful, sparkling amber color, very reminiscent of Mount Gay Extra Old. It's clear and glowing has great legs, a joy to watch. The aroma is old oakey with a bit of deep citrus, apricot-like. A sort sweet pancakey aroma. The taste is as smooth as it is explosive with a little smoky heat and some real complexity. Ooo-la-la! The taste is even better than the aroma. Flavors exploded in my mouth, full of spicy and taste sensations. The finish was consistent, just keeps on going and it's at this time that you begin to identify the tastes. Apricot, clove, smoky, oakey - simply gorgeous. The sweetness seems to come from the apricot. A great kick.

There are few rums I'd buy, but I'd buy Doorly's XO.
Me:

As always I have little to add to Sue Sea's wonderful reviews - she was really "on" this night. I recently reviewed the reviews of the rums of Barbados and noted the consistency and quality of rums made on this island - primarily by Mount Gay and the house of Seale. Yet another example demonstrating the failure of the AOC on Martinique to achieve the same. R. L. Seale's rums - as a group - are very hard to beat - made by a distiller of the highest integrity and commitment to quality.

Doorly's XO is yet another, and really belongs on your must buy list. Another great representative of the original, Barbadian/Bajan style rums. Thank you Richard Seale.

Rating (10 is best): Sue Sea - 9, Me - 8.
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

I find it remarkable that a single distiller can produce two products as disparate and excellent as Seale has with this and the RL Seale 10 year. The Doorly's is honey and tropical florals to me - but without the cloying sweetness that often accompanies those flavors. The Seale's is more harness leather and cedar. I love both, but personally prefer the RL Seale - Doorly's an 8.75 and Seale, a 9.25 (need to leave room for a perfect rum!).

Capn's Log: We tend to agree. The big difference: the XO is finished in sherry barrels, one of the first rums to do so.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

The only problem I have with the 10 year is the price! sheesh!!!

The Doorly's XO is a great rum and I'd score it an 8 as well.

Capn'a Log: One of yet another beauties of south Florida is our pricing. I've purchased the XO at $17 and the Seales at $24. However the current crisis may change all that...
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Doorly's XO 25€ = reasonable

Seales 10 year 65€ = not so reasonable
in goes your eye out
bearmark
Beermeister

Seale's Rum in Texas

Post by bearmark »

In Dallas, Total Wine (exclusive) sells Seale's 10 for $22 and Doorly's XO for $15. I think I'll go get a bottle now! :twisted:
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

Here in GA, Doorly's XO was $20 and just dropped to $15. I'm a happy camper. BTW - Does their US Distributor (RL Seale, Imports, Inc.) have the same corrupt distribution agreement with Total Wine everywhere? It really pisses me off that my favorite pub cannot buy any Four Square products at any price!
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Serge of Whisky Fun reviewed a few young rums starting with Doorly's XO.

It got a rather favorable review, which I have to agree with now that I've obtained a bottle and had a few samples off it. :D

Not sure I agree with the "...with something agricole" part of his comment, but I totally agree with the beginning of that comment where he states "quality rum for sure,".

Capn's Log: Usige is invited for a dram of Pusser's 15 for this brilliant link to one of my favorite reviewers, the absolutely amazing (and honest) Serge. You are to immediately visit the link and read his reviews on about six rums. He nails them. I mean it. Go there NOW...
OldMiltonian
Landlubber

Post by OldMiltonian »

Lads and Lasses,

I got a bottle of this about 8 years ago when I lived in the Antipodes. My palate then was unrefined for the lack of a better word. I need to get my hands on another bottle. We have to be resourceful up here in BC as the offerings are pretty ordinary save for a couple.
Rum-pelstiltskin

Post by Rum-pelstiltskin »

If Seale has produced a bad rum then I am yet to taste it.

Doorlys. Doorlys XO, Spiced, 10 Year Old, Rum 66 all excellent and fantastic value for money even in the UK!

In many ways its an absolute madness that "The Real McCoy" can market Seale's rum's and charge a premium for them.

Still there is no shortage of stupidity in the world.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Rum-pelstiltskin wrote:If Seale has produced a bad rum then I am yet to taste it.

Doorlys. Doorlys XO, Spiced, 10 Year Old, Rum 66 all excellent and fantastic value for money even in the UK!

In many ways its an absolute madness that "The Real McCoy" can market Seale's rum's and charge a premium for them.

McCoy 12 is nice I tried at the rumfest.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Rum-pelstiltskin

Post by Rum-pelstiltskin »

Dai wrote:
Rum-pelstiltskin wrote:If Seale has produced a bad rum then I am yet to taste it.

McCoy 12 is nice I tried at the rumfest.
I've no doubt it is but its £10 more expensive than Rum Sixty Six.
ervinjason
Landlubber

Re: Rum Review: Doorly's XO Rum

Post by ervinjason »

I find it remarkable that a single distiller can produce two products as disparate and excellent as Seale has with this and the RL Seale 10 year.

The Doorly's is honey and tropical florals to me - but without the cloying sweetness that often accompanies those flavors.

The Seale's is more harness leather and cedar.

I love both, but personally prefer the RL Seale - Doorly's an 8.75 and Seale, a 9.25 (need to leave room for a perfect rum!).
Alight Motion for PC is the first professional motion design app bringing you professional-quality animation, motion graphics, visual effects, video editing, video compositing, and more!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Re: Rum Review: Doorly's XO Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks for the review - I agree with your conclusions.