Cadenhead Shop

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Dai
Minor God

Cadenhead Shop

Post by Dai »

http://www.whiskytastingroom.com/cadenheads-rum

Just in case any of you guy's fancy something a little different.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Nice link Dai, worth a click folks...
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Yep, I was at the shop right before Christmas. Great selection and pretty reasonable prices.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

I think it will be a toss up between:
Demerara Rum MPM from Uitvlught Distillery 12 Year Old - 70cl / 62%
http://www.whiskytastingroom.com/cadenh ... 2-297.html

And Mezan:

Mezan Jamaica Barrique XO Rum
https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/mezan- ... rum/?srh=1

Mezan Guyana Uitvlugt 1998 Rum
https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/mezan- ... rum/?srh=1

More or less get two Mezan's for one cadenhead. Decisions decisions not sure what to do.
What would you do if it were you?

Nekkandor
Cabin Boy

Post by Nekkandor »

Skip the Mezans and take the Cadenhead. The latter one is worth its money.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Nekkandor wrote:Skip the Mezans and take the Cadenhead. The latter one is worth its money.
At the moment I'm in two minds. It may come down to flipping a coin.
I need convincing.

mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Personally I would go for the 2 Mezan if not getting all 3. I prefer just to pop the bottle and start drinking neat. You are getting a pure spirit either way. Even at 62%, two bottles at 80 proof with last a bit longer and you can try two expressions as opposed to one. The mezan 1998 vintages are also aged 13 years, the XO 4-23 year blend. I believe amazon offers free shipping as well on these.

Sounds like you prefer the Guyanese rums though. That 18 yr on the cadenhead site looks good to if just getting one.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

mamajuana wrote:Personally I would go for the 2 Mezan if not getting all 3. I prefer just to pop the bottle and start drinking neat. You are getting a pure spirit either way. Even at 62%, two bottles at 80 proof with last a bit longer and you can try two expressions as opposed to one. The mezan 1998 vintages are also aged 13 years, the XO 4-23 year blend. I believe amazon offers free shipping as well on these.

Sounds like you prefer the Guyanese rums though. That 18 yr on the cadenhead site looks good to if just getting one.
Now you can see why I'm in two minds on this.

The Demerara @18 looks tempting but @£65 she who must be obeyed would have 65 reasons to smack me in the nuts. Since this will be a birthday present off her I have to obey the rules and the limits of her purse.

Nekkandor
Cabin Boy

Post by Nekkandor »

Dai wrote:At the moment I'm in two minds. It may come down to flipping a coin.
I need convincing.
Then nevermind my comment please. Get the rum(s) of your choice and make your own experience. Seriously.
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Deciding on what rum to get is always an important choice. The more practical choice is the mezan.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

mamajuana wrote:Deciding on what rum to get is always an important choice. The more practical choice is the mezan.
I had the Cadenhead as a sample at Christmas and it's nice stuff but you have a point on the Mezan. I'm still in two minds on which to buy. Looks likes it's down to a toss of the coin.

Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

After perusing the state of my stash I thought it best to go for the two Mezan rums instead of one Cadenhead. I'd like to thank you guy's for your input but when it came down to it quantity over quality? (figure of speech, Mezan are good quality rums) seems to be the order of the day.

Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

As you can see by the label guy's Mezan are one of the good guy's in the rum world. This is the back of the label from the Guyanese rum which is good stuff. Well worth getting a bottle.

The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Part of the reason I've taken a 6wk hiatus from the board has been to dusty hunt some of Texas and then to check out London's rum offerings, including the splendid Cadenhead's store, of which I am now a loyal and devoted customer.

Expensive? Sure. But phenomenal? Abso-freaking-lutely.

Being something of a cask-strength devotee, I have avoided the Green Label products and focused on the cask strength stuff.

What drives me wild about the Cadenhead's bottlings are that they have the stones to release these at full proof with no filtering.

The Berrys are excellent sippers straight out of the bottle. EXCELLENT. But the Cadenhead's choices allow you to get to the source and add your own water for a more earthy and visceral experience.

After sipping on a few of the Cadenhead's offerings, what is amazing is the taste that gets left behind in your mouth. I'm not just talking the finish, I mean what's there an hour afterwards. For the first time since I was a kid I hated brushing my teeth at night, knowing I'd be erasing it.

It strikes me particularly that the Cadenhead's offerings are the ultimate tiki cocktail ingredient. Earthy, deluxe, almost-overproof notes that aren't sugary at all, and that would stack on top of fruit juices or whatever to give a cocktail of unrivaled complexity and depth.

Find a way to try these. Stephen is a great guy to talk to about rum as well. He says there's lots more still aging.

I bit the bullet and bought the 12yr uitvlugt, plus 3 18yrs, the Cuban Sancti Spiritus, the Guadeloupe, the Brazilian, a few of the Enmores, and I think a St Lucia? (I'm doing this from a bad memory).

I duffed around with sipping them straight and then splashed a variable eyeball of water into them. Just phenomenal.

Find a way to treat yourself to one of these.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Also have a few of the Jamaican 21yrs, I think it was.