Trade Relations with Cuba

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
edmoney

Trade Relations with Cuba

Post by edmoney »

Not sure if this has already been addressed elsewhere on the Forum, but with the announcement last month that the U.S. would be re-establishing diplomatic ties with Cuba after 50+ years, there's anticipation that the trade embargo will be lifted. What effect do you think this might have on the U.S. finally having access to rums from Cuba that until now has been denied?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Although opening diplomatic relations is a big step, Cuba will move very slowly and carefully as they are well aware that our goals will include infiltration as we seem to do with all other countries, friend or foe.

Obama is quite skilled at making politically visible moves that talk the talk, but that fail to walk the walk. Bacardi and the other members of the Big Three (Diageo/Fortune) - who as most here know are the recipients of many billions of free subsidies from the US - will fight this tooth and nail. The Bacardi family has a lifelong and general hatred of all things Castro and has been very effective in influencing our easily bought Congress.

Do recall that the rest of the world recognizes Cuba's timely and legal purchase and ownership of "Havana Club" except the US, where a mere $20,000 got a rider to a bill that was retroactive in Bacardi's favor. Bacardi's lobbied "Havana Club" was a massive failure in sales. In South Florida the older generation and Marco Rubio are all vehemently against any progress at all, while the younger generation favors opening things up.

Bottom line: this will be a slow, slow process unless other industries pressure Congress for more access (airlines, travel industry, et al). The Big Three are very bothered by Cuba's reputation for quality rums and cigars that retain a certain cache and reputation - whether earned or not - is a fact.

Ask your question again next year...
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

I'm regretting the American influence in Cuba. I know Cuba needs modenising but, the yanks will try and spoil the place for sure. No offence to our American friends but you seem to do this where ever you go.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Dai, I could not agree more. The US will not be satisfied until every corner sports a MacDonald's or Walmart, and until all the valuable resources and control of other community property (eg water rights) are under the control of American new colonializing mega-corporations.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Dai, I could not agree more. The US will not be satisfied until every corner sports a MacDonald's or Walmart, and until all the valuable resources and control of other community property (eg water rights) are under the control of American new colonializing mega-corporations.
I shouldn't leave out the UK we have enough neo-liberal policies as well.

sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

ROFL - I remember the (gratefully) failed attempt by McD's to buy the corner property on the Zoocalo in Oaxaca - the locals went crazy - this ain't food!

Now that Americans can travel to Cuba by simply saying "I have an allowable reason for travel" and return with up to $400 (I think) in alcohol and/or tobacco, the camel's nose is in the tent up to his midriff. I've continually intended to make side trips to Cuba from Mexico and the Caribbean, I never have. My fascination is the cars of my youth and the mechanics and machinists who keep them running!
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

sleepy wrote:ROFL - I remember the (gratefully) failed attempt by McD's to buy the corner property on the Zoocalo in Oaxaca - the locals went crazy - this ain't food!

Now that Americans can travel to Cuba by simply saying "I have an allowable reason for travel" and return with up to $400 (I think) in alcohol and/or tobacco, the camel's nose is in the tent up to his midriff. I've continually intended to make side trips to Cuba from Mexico and the Caribbean, I never have. My fascination is the cars of my youth and the mechanics and machinists who keep them running!
I remember the first trip to Cuba we came across one or two of the cars at a cafe just along the beach in Cayo Guillermo, not many cars there as it's a small island but a lovely place for a holiday. This was the place I had my first encounter with Havana Club 7 two weeks of Cuba Libre on an all inclusive, the stuff went down well.