Rum Review: Cockspur 12 Year Rum

Barbados: the defacto home of the original reference classic rum as we know it. God bless the Queen! And Mount Gay!

How do you rate Cockspur 12 Year Rum (five is best)?

No votes
33%
67%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Cockspur 12 Year Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Cockspur 12 Year Rum: "White Hot Marmalade"

There's something about a classic rum bottle. and there's something about a fine red cock label! Ask Sue Sea! Reminds us of being awakened by glowing, crowing roosters at first light in Key West. Along with six toed cats, roosters and hens roam the streets - accompanied by transvestites, topless and bottomless partiers getting home late, er early.

And nobody much notices. It's just Key West, y'know.

Cockspur sports the bottle that Mount Gay left behind. The traditional bottle shape that generations of rum drinkers have associated with the history of rum in Barbados, the de facto home of rum. Shame on Mount Gay - they owned the franchise, and left it behind, no doubt due to the intense presentation of a smiling crew of marketing mavens who were absolutely positive - after all they had their self-serving research on hand - that leaving behind 300 years of tradition, simply tossing the empty into the can, and moving to a faux expensive modern bottle design would not only increase sales, but allow a massive price increase to boot! Is it so?

Nope.

God bless Cockspur. Yes, a bit late to the game (1884), but smart enough to copy a winner and use a bottle that just reeks of rum tradition. Bravo! And a nice traditional label to boot, featuring the red cock that cocklovers everywhere lust for. But I digress, the reviews:

Sue Sea:
As usual, Jimbo went off on yet another of his windmill tilting tirades - though I fear he is right again. I adore the Cockspur traditional bottles and the strength and uniqueness of their red rooster label. The rum lives up to this image. I must be honest and relate that Jim and I tried the younger Cockspur and were not much impressed. Accordingly, when we were at the Rum Bar on Duval St. in Key West I was much surprised when he ordered a snifter of the Cockspur 12 Year.

I was pleasantly surprised.

The Cockspur 12 Year opens with a fine aroma of leather, cinnamon, ginger and spicy pepper. This rum was entirely consistent - the taste was hot, in a nice way, and got hotter from beginning to end. The mid palate revealed what I'd call a hot orange marmalade. Its finish was short and hot, a mouth finish.

All in all this is a fine rum, very spicy and hot and that would serve as a good cigar rum. Indeed, I had a nice vanilla short with me that did well. I should also add that the Cockspur 12 Year benefits from a good airing, which sweetens and smooths it nicely.
Me:

Cockspur 12 Year's aroma began with a slight alcohol prickle, a feature that passes with airing, but is of little consequence anyway. It's just something to write about, lol. I also found leather and a sweet, hot pepper. The early palate is of a spicy honey pepper, followed by a nice leather, then turns white, white hot! A mouth finish, and relatively short. This is the kind of rum that does well with some time in glass, and should not be rushed. Perfect for a rum bar sipping accompanying a fine discussion with the knowledgable Rum Bar tender.

Interestingly, the Cockspur website does not list this rum, which is perhaps a labeling for the American market. The closest offering seems to be their "VSOR" which is a blend of 12 year (plus) rums blended with some younger (8 yrs plus) rums. This matches up nicely with the Cockspur 12 Year label which seems to indicate a blend of 7 to 12 year old rums. Cockspur rums blend both continuous and double pot stilled rums.

All in all a fine rum. Do give it time, it opens up nicely and reveals sweetness, and smooths out well.

Ratings (10 is best): solid 7.

Note: only the shortness of finish kept this rum from a higher rating.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I got a shot to try Cockspur 12 at a small store I frequent which has given me some great dusties, most recently of which about 12 bottles of 100 proof Mount Gay Eclipse Black.

Spicy toffee is what I remember from this one. A lot of spice.

I tasted it in a rush, late for something due to too much bottle hunting, and I had been buying a metric crapload of alcohol that week. Since I had a lot of purchase saturation going on, I was feeling spoiled for choice (cocky?) and thought to myself "Good drinking, but probably not $45 good drinking"

I didn't know if $45 was a good deal or a bad deal. I need to spend more time with it next time I'm in Texas. I certainly liked it - at $30 I'd have snapped them all up.

I don't know if it's rare. I don't see it much. More to come, but I am sure of the solid 3 rating I would give it, which means I'd be happy sipping it neat anytime.