An introduction from near San Francisco

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
Quine
Cabin Boy

An introduction from near San Francisco

Post by Quine »

Hello all,

I am Matthew (AKA Quine Atal a pen name from a long long time ago). Professionally I am a software developer but looking to retire or at least semi-retire any time now. I have a number of hobbies that I would be far more interested in pursuing at this stage of my life. I am not worried about being bored.

About 5 years ago I got into a new hobby, cigars, in a regular way and have been enjoying them ever since. I used to pair the cigars with various libations including "Irish Mist" (Irish Whiskey blended with a honey liqueur), or various brandies and cognacs. About 3 years back someone on some online forum (we were discussing pairings of various kinds) noted that rums come from the same part of the world as cigars and they might go well together. Turns out they do.

I tried Pyrat Reserve, Pampero A.R.E., and then ended up with Mocambo 20yr (Mexico). I drank only those three (mostly the last) for a few years and then (thanks to a rum aficionado at work and a visit to Nicaragua [cigars again]) in rapid succession discovered Papa's Pilar blonde & dark, FdC 12 & 18, Angostura 1919 and 1824, and then in rapid succession began exploring bottles of Atlantico P.C., El Dorado 15, Diplomatico R.E., Dictador 20, and Brugal 1888. While these rums are all mostly different from one another, some are quite similar at the same time, and as it turns out my palette can appreciate them all!

So that brings me to today when, as I return home from work, I look forward to a nice cigar and a glass of one of those above rums. Those of you with Google+ accounts can check out my own community RumsAndCigars and visit me at https://posts.google.plus/+MatthewRapaport

Thanks to the Captn for the forum and the site. I love the tasting pages!