The Antrhopocene Era: a new vaccine? Not.

Bet you never thought you'd see this one on a respectable forum. But this forum is hardly respectable, and neither is rum! This section is for the forbidden: rum and religion, politics and sex. Here's to Frank Zappa and Catholic Girls!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

The Antrhopocene Era: a new vaccine? Not.

Post by Capn Jimbo »

So what IS the Anthropocene Era and why should we care?

Check this out:
"...the negative impact of the human footprint ensures a gradual destruction of the Earth. “Our survival fully depends on us,” Cruzten says.

The scientists claim that there is overwhelming evidence that what they term “man, the eroder” now transforms all Earth system processes. They offer this list in support of their argument:
  • Excessively rapid climate change, so that ecosystems cannot adapt.
    The Arctic ocean ice cover is thinner by approximately 40% than it was 20-40 years ago.
    Ice loss on land is causing the rising sea levels.
    Overpopulation (a fourfold increase in the 20th century alone).
    Increasing demand for freshwater.
    Releases of nitrogen oxide into the atmosphere, resulting in high surface ozone layers.
    Loss of agricultural soil through erosion.
    Loss of phosphorous (dangerous depletion in agricultural regions).
    Melting supplies of phosphate reserves (leading to serious reduction in crop yield).
The paper begins: “Humankind actions are exerting increasing effect on the environment on all scales, in a lot of ways overcoming natural processes."
In sum, the human impact on earth is so great that it rivals and in many ways trumps the powers of nature, at least to the extent that natural harmony and balance have been upended. More disturbing - we don't have a clue as to what man - in this new Anthropocene (man-driven) Era - what effect mankind will cause.

But it clearly isn't good. We are already seeing serious envioronmental effects. California is running out of water to grow 30% of America's food. Monocropping and GMO's are destroying our soils, and killing essential populations of bees. Ocean water has already risen in south Florida, and penetrated underground into our fresh water reserves. It is no longer a question as to whether our activities will seriously damage our earth - that has already happened.

And it's barely started. The "hockey stick" acceleration seems to have already begun, decades early. Yet the plutocracy continues the widespread destruction driven almost solely by huge and almost unthinkable profit and wealth.

A lot of good it will do them - and all of us. It is time for a serious, committed and total restart.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/ear ... s_20150323
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Fascists and corrupt cowards in every political office of every major developed country in the world. A world population that are either apathetic or ignorant.

I fear for the future that awaits my son. The world is heading for a major upheaval both environmentally and socially. I'll be dead but I hope that when the dust settles that my boy and those who he loves are still standing.
in goes your eye out