New Boy from Spalding

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
Nigel
Landlubber

New Boy from Spalding

Post by Nigel »

Last year our local Aldi had an offer on El Dorado 15 year old rum. As a single malt drinker, I thought I'd give it a go. Loved it.

I am now going to have to start a rum collection. What I am after are rums that don't sting my nasal passages when I nose them and don't burn my tongue/mouth/throat when I sip and swallow them.

Bought a bottle of 7 year old Havana Club and have to say I don't rave over it.

Any suggestions?
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Havana 7 is no big deal. It's been sweetened a bit, though not like the El Dorados. See below for a suggestion on that particular one.

Mezan and Bristol Classic are not terribly hard to find in the UK and represent a very good value for money for independently bottled, unadulterated rums. Of course you also have Cadenhead, who offer online shopping....

As far as stuff available on the high street shops, stick to Jamaica, Barbados, or the Frenchy islands (including Haiti) - none of those have been sugared or flavored or overly fucked with. Easy to find: Appleton, Barbancourt, Mount Gay (for better or for worse..), Cockspur. Also I believe Marks and Spencer do house-brand rums from Jamaica and Barbados, but I might be mis-remembering.

The Serrallés distillery in Puerto Rico also doesn't do anything to their rums, they make Don Q, Palo Viejo, and Caliche, among others. Don Q Gran Añejo is an excellent alternative to the older, slightly sweetened, Havana Clubs - not sure if it's available in the UK though.
Nigel
Landlubber

Post by Nigel »

Hassouni wrote:I believe Marks and Spencer do house-brand rums from Jamaica and Barbados, but I might be mis-remembering.
I could not find anything in my local M&S food shop but then it is small.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll start looking.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

Nigel wrote:
Hassouni wrote:I believe Marks and Spencer do house-brand rums from Jamaica and Barbados, but I might be mis-remembering.
I could not find anything in my local M&S food shop but then it is small.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll start looking.
There are two mid price M&S rums available

A Bajan Estate and a Guatamalan rum. Both are licensed from Platation so they are sweetened.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Hi Nige checkout www.masterofmalt.com you should find plenty there.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition