Rum Review: Appleton Reserve Rum

The second standard reference style: aromatic, robust and full flavored - it's absolutely dunderful. To our ships at sea! May they sink very slowly!

How do you rate Appleton Reserve Rum (five is best)?

No votes
50%
50%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Appleton Reserve Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Appleton Reserve Rum: "A Kick Ass Rum"

It all happened by accident. I'd visited my favorite rum emporium to replace my beloved bottle of Appleton Extra. Their new catalogue listed Appleton "Extra Reserve". I tried to point out Appleton had three midpriced rums - V/X, Reserve and Extra - but was assured that the bottle, clearly labeled "Reserve", was indeed the Extra. As it carried the usual Extra price tag, I assumed that maybe Appleton had changed Extra's label to "Reserve" and eliminated the "12 year" notation.

They were wrong, and I was right. Na na na, na na na!

It WAS "Reserve" and not the Extra. I was actually quite pleased with this as Reserve is hard to find. Owning both the V/X and Extra, I was anxious to test this in between blend. Holy mackeral! But first, the reviews.

Sue Sea
:
I've mentioned elsewhere that I find the Appleton bottles very enticing. A sensual shorter female shape with a voluptuous pinched waist, and sporting a classic plantation label. Looks great on any shelf. We decided to do a smackdown with V/X, Reserve and Extra and had started with the very nice V/X. Reserve was next.

Its aroma, like the V/X is still fruity but now in the deeper range, like a thick apricot nectar or marmalade, against a background of spicy clove and oak. So far, similar to V/X but deeper and heavier. Now this is where Reserve parts company. Its taste is unidimensional and is dominated by cloves, bourbon and a growing heat. This carries through to a very warm, almost hot peppery finish.

Wow. This rum beckons you with its deep pleasant aroma, then comes on strong and finishes stronger. Woah!!! Now mind you, I actually like real rums - the kind that don't pretend to be liqueurs, and that display some nice pepper warmth. But I think Reserve carries this one dimension too far, and compromises the balance that becomes better rums.
Me:

I have to be honest. I came home with my accidental purchase in a state of excitement, exploration and positive expectations. Late that evening I decided to crack the bottle for a pleasant nightcap. I was sorely disappointed. This was not the Appleton I knew and respected. It even caused me to wonder whether the "Reserve" was really a low-priced mixer, a step below V/X. It was not pleasant.

Still, I had to give Reserve a chance, and Sue Sea and I tasted it the next day...

Reserve is a slightly cloudy medium amber, nice slow legs. Its aroma is actually quite nice: deeper fruit against a background of clove. A sweet, heavier pungent aroma, quite nice. The taste is consistent and features a growing hot clove, ending in dry astringency. The finish was hot, lots of pepper/clove and a bit of alcohol.

Sue Sea hit the nail on the head: unidimensional. It comes on like an old friend with a hidden grudge. Reaches out a hand with a deep welcoming smile, then unwinds and smacks you in the face. Appleton Reserve is a blend, and occupies a questionable position between V/X and Extra. Who do I think will like this rum?

Pirates. It's the perfect accompaniment to murder and mayhem.

Score (10 is best): 5.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

I quite like the Reserve it's a great all round rum good for sipping as well as mixing. So far I've done both and for the price you can't go wrong on this one.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Dai, a question...

This is actually one of our earlier reviews, but I think relatively accurate. The issue we had with the Reserve is that it simply isn't very complex, and rather unidimensional. The aroma promises more than the palate delivers, and what is delivered is simplistic and rather blunt.

We rated this as a sipper, especially since the V/X is supposed to be their mixer although in reality many feel it is the V/X that can be both mixed or sipped. To us, it's the Reserve that is the mixer, and with that noted the price is too dear.

What's your take in comparison to the V/X and to the Extra?
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Just tried this for the first time today - I almost think I like it more than the 12 - it tastes "rummier" for lack of a better word, and strikes me that it would stand out better in cocktails calling for Jamaican rum (in which S&C might be overkill)
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Hassouni wrote:Just tried this for the first time today - I almost think I like it more than the 12 - it tastes "rummier" for lack of a better word, and strikes me that it would stand out better in cocktails calling for Jamaican rum (in which S&C might be overkill)
I quite like the reserve, used to use it for rum and coke. I'll have to get another bottle soon.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Post by Blade Rummer »

The Reserve was the first of the Appleton range I tried, the reason being I was mistaken in thinking it was the 12 year old! However, after reading the first post here, it seems like I am in good company. :lol:

I actually like the Reserve, there's nothing wrong with it. I can understand how someone could find it one-dimensional, however I find that it's better and more assertive in a rum and coke then the V/X.

I still stick with the Extra, but I have a friend who prefers the Reserve and I certainly never refuse a pour when he offers.