Bite me Dept: How to smoke Virginias and survive?

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Bite me Dept: How to smoke Virginias and survive?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Nice! Or ouch! Or double ouch!!

I have come to the point where I can appreciate why Virgina and VaPer lovers really love them. Under the right circumstances - with very careful and slow sipping - they are really sweet, interesting and enticing. But heaven help you, when that pleasantness leads to puff just a little more, to get more of that loveliness, then - ouch! And your tongue and the bowl is history.

What happened to me recently was that I tried a McClelland #27 Matured Virginia: orange/red light/dark, shag cut - it's like a broken up flake. I rolled it around in my fingers a bit, so as to pack it like you would McC's Navy Flake. I took my time lighting and relighting, and sipping slowly and it was very, very nice.

That was so inpirational that I decided next to have a small bowl of Louisiana Red - VaPer made of course with red virginia and a modest amount of perique. Unlike the #27, it is a ribbon cut. Again, I proceeded with what I thought was sufficient care, but this time I quickly found myself with the dreaded Virginia tongue bit.

Both tobaccos are a bit moist to the touch, and in both cases I did not care to dry them out. I can only surmise that the broken up flake and flake pack of the #27 slowed down the burn, and saved my tongue, while the ribbon cut of the Red just burned faster. The issues that arise are moistness, cut and I guess, technique. Oh and that one included perique.

Your help will be appreciated. What observations or advice can you offer for approaching these V-based blends?
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I don't get tongue bite anymore. That coincided with me drying my tobacco out thoroughly. I let it dry until it's a poofteenth before completely bone dry. This has eliminated any tongue bite whatsoever. I am convinced that tongue bite is a product of additives, in non aromatics it's the humectant which converts to sugars as it is burnt and burnt sugars are bitey (acid or alkaline I can't remember) in aromatics it's the sauce which again....sugars.

Dry your tobacco properly and smoke slowly= bye bye tongue bite.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:I don't get tongue bite anymore. That coincided with me drying my tobacco out thoroughly. I let it dry until it's a poofteenth before completely bone dry. This has eliminated any tongue bite whatsoever. I am convinced that tongue bite is a product of additives, in non aromatics it's the humectant which converts to sugars as it is burnt and burnt sugars are bitey (acid or alkaline I can't remember) in aromatics it's the sauce which again....sugars.

Dry your tobacco properly and smoke slowly= bye bye tongue bite.
I prefer my tobacco on the dryer side anyway but will trying drying it a bit more just to see.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition