BYO: Blend yer own?

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

BYO: Blend yer own?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I'm going to give it a try...

It all started with da'rum's recent experiment with Perique (I'd just tried a nice VaPer), which got me curious - a dangerous situation. So after a bit of research I've started to narrow things down:
  • Virginia: longleaf, red or flake. My concern burn rate and sweetness first, then brightness. Flake is sweet and cool burning. Longleaf has caramel tones, red is widely used. Or...
    Carolina: flake, sweet and tea, cool burn. A possible substitute for the above.

Burley: a double toasted white for sweet nuttiness and cocoa.

Latakia: a Cyprian ribbon cut - smoky, over leather and a bit of anise, or...
    Kentucky: a dark fired burley that is more subtly smoky, earthy but high in nicotine, to be used cautiously.

Perique: St. James, alleged to add cooked-fruit, musty, mushroom-like aroma. Cool smoking.
    Turkish: a blend of several Turkish described as bright and clean and particular good with Latakia.
    Cavendish: Green River Black Cavendish, brown sugar, slightly sweet, reputed to mellow, soften and sweeten the blend.
This is my first run through, and subject to change any microsecond now. I've included a couple interesting links for blending in general, and a second link from Dan Pipe with some suggested recipes using existing products (but that could use your own blending tobaccos)...

http://www.jimscigarandpipe.info/Basic% ... ending.pdf
http://www.jimscigarandpipe.info/Dan%20 ... ending.pdf
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o79g_D9kL1A

Glynn from GQ Tobaccos explaining a bit about how he goes about blending.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Really an excellent link - a very informative young man who really takes the next step beyond the basic choices of tobaccos...

Thank you!
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Really an excellent link - a very informative young man who really takes the next step beyond the basic choices of tobaccos...

Thank you!
You inspired me Jimbo just tried a bowl of 50/50 GQ Breakfast Blend and Skiff Mixture very nice very enjoyable smoke it was to.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Same here, I have a vanilla cavendish called "Black Swan" by Sutliff (reviewed here). So many people over at Tobacco Reviews suggest blending an aromatic with burley (in my case Prince Albert, an OTC) to stretch and lighten it.

I went about 2/3 aro and 1/3 burley and voila! Very, very nice - lightened it nicely while adding some body and nuttiness of burley, also much improved burn. As an addendum though I finished with a half bowl of Barbados Plantation, which was and remains a tremendous blend with some authentic Bajan rum added.

Can't recommend this last one highly enough, also by Sutliff (see the review, also in this section)
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFaOgO4v7Z8

Another good link for you Jimbo all about Burley