Dunhill 965, Scottish Blend: Opinions!?

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Dunhill 965, Scottish Blend: Opinions!?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Dunhill 965...

...has been produced first by Dunhill many years ago, then Murrays and most recently the Scandinavian Group/Orlik. It seems most of the Dunhills are respected, and that the 965 is considered a fine classic, and as per Tobacco Reviews is a "Pipe Tobacco Hall of Fame Inductee". Currently an Orlik (Scandinavian) blend of:
  • Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
    Latakia (smokey, nutty?), Macedonia bright (sweet), brown (non-flavored) Cavendish (light sweetness, mellowing)
Although the original gets the most raves, the Orlik does almost as well, short of those who tend to doubt changes of blender. Others feel the change was for the better, so as always, who really knows?

Found some locally... Any opinions? What's it like to you?
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

The 965 is one I haven't yet tried. I would rely on it being top quality though, like all Dunhill branded pipe tobacco. It is one of those brands that I don't buy often because it is a dollar or so more expensive. I do intend buying the 965 sometime just to see how it smokes.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Had a bowl of 965 yesterday nice stuff. If you've tried Squadron Leader it's a tad stronger taste wise. If you like a Balkan mix then I say go for it you won't be dis-appointed. I only had a 10gram sample but got about 4 bowls out of that. Enjoyed em. Not to strong not to mild a good all day smoke if you're that way inclined.

Another one to go for is Erinmore Balkan Mixture. Not sure if it's available in the States.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

An acquired taste...

My taste development went something like this - first to appreciate some of the cavendish based aro's like 1-Q, and BCA, then to a light aromatic V/B/C blend like RLP-6, the to a couple light aromatic English like the HGL, or 504 Light English.

My experiences with Missouri Meerschaum and Oullette's Opus - medium English were interesting but not so great at the time. Later found some close out Sutliff tins locally like Blend No. 5, Bosporus Cruise and R-Blend - all of which were fairly typical English blends, some with some added Perique as well.

The experience was growing. Then one day I "got" Blend No. 5, which is a straight ahead English with a nice Turkish component. It was at this point I stopped at my tobacoonist to buy some cleaners, and what the heck I thought - it's time to try a real classic, the Dunhill 965 once again.

Dunhill 965 has quite a history:

First of all, the Dunhills are known for (a) being a classic old company (that's changed hands a few times) and that (b) who creates classic and well respected English blends using particularly fine tobaccoa. Many position the 965 between the Early Morning Pipe (a basic B/L/V English) and their heavy Nitecap (B/L/P/V strong English.

Their My Mixture 954 is promoted as a Scottish - which is part of the latakia-based, unflavored English familty but with the Turkish more forward (a true English is latakia followed by a virginia, and only then the Turkish). 965 adds a twist. Of course it features the latakia, but with plenty of Turkish/Oriental spicing, followed by some virgina sweetness, and the tweak: some brown unflavored cavendish to mellow and blend the smoke, and add what seems a bit of nuttiness and light sweet.

I didn't either get nor appreciate any of this before, but a recent experience with Sutliff's Blend No. 5 - a straight ahead B/L/V English, but which more than one reviewer found a certain sense of a light perfume aspect. I did too, and for the first time, began to enjoy the English thing. I think it was that wispy exotic perfume that did it (with light puffs and a a retro exhale).

So I returned to the the 965 and voila! This time the Turkish/Oriental came more forward with those spicy, exotic oriental effects that replicated the "perfume" idea, but much moreso. I also got some unexpected nutty and toasty whiffs - not from burley which was absent - but from the unflavored cavendish (which might well have been made from burley). Add some virginia sweetness, and the ever-present pleasant latakia smokiness and what you have many have called a Scottish blend:

Promoting up the Turkish/Oriental to take up second chair next to the lat. While I'm still learning to appreciate virginis (which is there, but is lesser), there's something about the T/O's that I find special. Like a good Islay, its a learning experience...

Very nice. I love to hear what you all discovered in this one, particularly in comparison to straight ahead English blends you may also have...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I am a Latakia fan with my favourite blend out of many good ones being Mac Baren's Vintage Syrian.

I had some Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend here and mixed it with some Kentucky Bird. Great Combo!

Kentucky Bird is a weird tobacco with flower petals in it. I bought some to try and haven't smoked it much as it wasn't really setting my world on fire. The addition of Latakia changes the experience to a much more pleasant one. The floral notes are stuck behind the Latakia and take on a much more Turkish note. Before the Latakia the floral note was too much becoming distracting and overbearing about 3/4's into the bowl. The addition of Latakia to about 1:2 would be something that an adventurous soul or a Latakia skeptic may be interested in.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

For a lighter smoke in the Dunhill range I can recommend Durbar.
Also recommend Erinmore Balkan Mixture I shall be having a bowl this afternoon.

Also Peterson Old Dublin. You'll get more of a perfumy taste with it from the Basma Orientals.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Acquired: the Sutliff My Match 965...

...apparently designed to "match" the Dunhill, and according to Tobacco Reviews comes pretty darn close, perhaps a bit smoother or lighter and to some more than holds its own.

My review:
"Still relatively new to pipes, but not all that new. Call me an intermediate. English is an acquired taste like a good Islay single malt - Iove the latter and am beginning to love the former, especially in what I would call a Balkan, which this absolutely is. The lat and oriental are so beautifully balanced that one is tempted to almost call this oriental forward but it is not. Neither dominates but are actually synergistic with one another, with the latakia indeed adding woodsy tones to the oriental. The unflavored cavendish is credited with the smooth, slightly sweet and creamy smoke, which is just marvelous. There was sense of warmth and a touch of nuttiness as well.

Another reviewer called this blend pleasant and calming and I can assure you he is exactly right. What a completely lovely effect with the components all working together in great harmony. As Goldilock's porridge - not too hot, not too cold, just exactly right! Indeed until the bowl was done, the latakia did not become apparent until the aftertaste left behind. Lovely, simply lovely."
To be fair, I have finally "gotten" the notion of English, and especially the Balkans, of which I think this is exquisite. It is the first bowl of a fine tobacco that I was tempted to call so rewarding that I felt led to quickly refill and keep going. Brilliant, really.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Acquired: the Sutliff My Match 965...

...apparently designed to "match" the Dunhill, and according to Tobacco Reviews comes pretty darn close, perhaps a bit smoother or lighter and to some more than holds its own.

My review:
"Still relatively new to pipes, but not all that new. Call me an intermediate. English is an acquired taste like a good Islay single malt - Iove the latter and am beginning to love the former, especially in what I would call a Balkan, which this absolutely is. The lat and oriental are so beautifully balanced that one is tempted to almost call this oriental forward but it is not. Neither dominates but are actually synergistic with one another, with the latakia indeed adding woodsy tones to the oriental. The unflavored cavendish is credited with the smooth, slightly sweet and creamy smoke, which is just marvelous. There was sense of warmth and a touch of nuttiness as well.

Another reviewer called this blend pleasant and calming and I can assure you he is exactly right. What a completely lovely effect with the components all working together in great harmony. As Goldilock's porridge - not too hot, not too cold, just exactly right! Indeed until the bowl was done, the latakia did not become apparent until the aftertaste left behind. Lovely, simply lovely."
To be fair, I have finally "gotten" the notion of English, and especially the Balkans, of which I think this is exquisite. It is the first bowl of a fine tobacco that I was tempted to call so rewarding that I felt led to quickly refill and keep going. Brilliant, really.
Here are my recomedations:

Old Dublin
Durbar
Presbyterian
Squadron Leader

There are some other but they are not available in the States.