Toward naming blends: American to English

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Toward naming blends: American to English

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The defining of blends is interesting, and G.L. Pease seems to be as good a spokesman as any with whom to begin...

The following is a loose borrow from Pease, linked at the end. In it he makes the following observations based on his studies of history.

1. In the early 1900's the term "mixture" came into vogue and referred to so-called pure blends - no additives, humectants, flavorings, etc. At the least the early English blends were known to contain pure virginias and turkish/orientals (and probably some latakia which was there but not named). At this time there was actually a British "purity law".

2 The term "English" blend or mixture came much later to describe these same blends. Gradually by the 1960's there was some rough agreement on what came to be called "American" vs "English" mixtures or blends. The English blends remained pure and free of additives, while the American mixtures could contain all of these, and included burley and various flavorings.

3. It was not until the 1990's that the term "Balkan" became used to describe more than Turkish/Oriental tobacco components. At this time so-called "Balkan blends" came to mean English blends in which the oriental component was more forward than in the older English blends.

He points out though that the quintessential Balkan blend (Sobranie) and the quintessential English (London Mixture) are exactly the opposite of what we think of today as Balkan (oriental-forward).

Thus Pease refuses to affix labels like English, Balkan, Scottish, or Oiental, saying:
"If the quintessential "English" mixture is actually a "Balkan," by our terms, and the "Balkan" is "English," should we really even be using the terms?"
Instead he simply prefers to lump all together as Latakia Mixtures. Still, it may have some value as to how others define them:
  • English: biased toward latakia well forward

Balkan: more in balance with turkish/orientals

Scottish: more in balance with virginias

American: add mild aromatics (flavored cavendish)

Note: all of the above may be modified with Perique or unflavored black or brown cavendish

But that's just one view. Another seems to be:
  • Va + Latakia = English

Va + Oriental/Turkish = Oriental

Va + Oriental/Turkish + Latakia = Balkan

Scottish is various combinations (Va, Oriental/Turkish, and Latakia) of the above with the addition of cavendish (either sweetened or unsweetened) and possibly a topping/casing of rum, scotch, etc. Also quite often pressed into a cake and "flaked" before tinning.

Depending on the blend/blender, Perique could be added to any of the above.

And yet another view points out that we are forgetting that even what we'd consider English - latakia forward blends - are still not based on latakia, but simply have a noticeable component of it. This view is that English blends are based on Virginias, then spiced, while Balkans are based on latakia, as follows:
  • English Blends are focused on the blending of a Virginia, or blend of Virginia with Latakia, and then "spiced" with oriental.

A Balkan is about blending Latakia with Orientals, and then "spicing" or rather, "filling in" with Virginias.

And Scottish? Virginia blends that are lightly smoked up by Latakia, and are usually cavendished with not much oriental sense to them, though there is a little.

So what do I get out of this?

Just my impressions but:
  • American: lighter, burley, semi or aromatic.

English: latakias on a virgina base, with other spices possible in the background.

Balkan: turkish/oriental in balance with the latakia, over a virginia background

Scottish: a real mish mosh of all of the above including cavendish and possible aromatics (but not burley).

Oriental: primarily turkish/oriental.
Whew!

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/out-of-th ... kan-blend/
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-ne ... -the-same/
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-to ... -the-same/
http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t ... -vs-balkan
http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t ... hese-terms
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

I think all these terms are pretty meaningless. I have Old Dublin that is classed as an English which has a pronounced Basma Oriental taste to it. On the other side of the spectrum there Is Peter Stokkebye's Balkan Mixture which is so balanced in flavour it tastes quite nuetral (bland) and is more like an English than a Balkan in taste. So my advice is take all these names and classifications with a pinch of salt and go by what tastes good to you.

One more thing GQTobaccos does an oriental that has no latakia at all in there Breakfast Blend.
http://www.gqtobaccos.com/pipe-tobaccos ... Vrf3kb_TV8
Good stuff it is too.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Dai wrote:I think all these terms are pretty meaningless.
I agree.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It's really a shame there isn't more agreement on these terms, as it makes it harder to find a style you like. For example, I seem to like a nice balance of taste wherein the lat smoke and oriental spice are in seeming balance, what I'd call a Balkan.

But as Pease points out the quintessential Balkan (Sobranie) has more lat than most English blends. But then again, he may be speaking to physical amounts of the component, rather than the taste itself.

Thus one is forced to do a lot of reading of the reviews to see what the many reviewers say - in this regard Tobacco Reviews in one of the great resources, what a gift!
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:It's really a shame there isn't more agreement on these terms, as it makes it harder to find a style you like. For example, I seem to like a nice balance of taste wherein the lat smoke and oriental spice are in seeming balance, what I'd call a Balkan.

But as Pease points out the quintessential Balkan (Sobranie) has more lat than most English blends. But then again, he may be speaking to physical amounts of the component, rather than the taste itself.

Thus one is forced to do a lot of reading of the reviews to see what the many reviewers say - in this regard Tobacco Reviews in one of the great resources, what a gift!
You buy samples and decide from there as you do with rum.

da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

The mislabelling, skullduggery and bullshit involved with tobacco makes the rum industry look pure as snow.

In an all too familiar sounding example, there is a case here in Germany where one of the majors lobbyists has convinced/bribed the government to introduce legislation that tips the playing field so sharply that small companies will not be able to compete. Planta has already sounded the warning bells and said they may need to close up.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

d..., if you know what are they proposing and how does it hurt the little guys?
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

It's really a shame there isn't more agreement on these terms, as it makes it harder to find a style you like.
Jimbo think of tobacco types as you do rum styles. Within a rum style let's say cuban you can have a vast range of flavours and taste. So it is with tobacco types. This is why some balkans can taste like an english and other more turkish/oriental same goes for virginia tobaccos some are stronger taste wise while others are milder then yu get the hybrid tobaccos like aromatic latakia which really throws a spanner in the works.

da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I'll try and find the article again but it has to do wih additives and aromas I think.
in goes your eye out