Review: Golden Age Tin by Sutliff

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Golden Age Tin by Sutliff

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Golden Age: maybe Amber Age would be better...

A very different smoke as you will see. Setting a new record for brevity, here's my review:

Moi:

"I will unable to compare this to an Elizabethan, but I can compare to the English and Balkans I do like (MM Patriot, Blend No. 5, R-Blend, Bosporus Cruise, et al) and must say this was very different. The main impression I was left with was sense of dark deepness, earthy being an excellent descriptor, but I would even add a meaty, plain jerky sensation, but spiced with notable pepperiness. Intermittent notes of an oriental.

Those who note a sweetness may be right, but that aspect is rather distant and minimal. This Golden Age would better be named Amber Age, lol. In terms of effect, I'd note the Perique, followed by the Turkish, and way back: the Burley, Cavendish and Virgina. The Golden Age grew deeper and richer down the bowl, and left a definite aftertaste in the mouth that was entirely consistent with the preceeding.

All in all this might grow on me, and seems an acquired taste. I'll have to let you know. Silly perhaps but I could actually see enjoying this one at an outdoor barbeque. I'd call it a TurPer, lol. I believe this one does best sipped in a wider bowl, like my Butz Choquin straight-stem billiard (15/16) in an attempt to draw out the supporting components. I believe this one is for Perique lovers. Not an all-day smoke for me, but I do believe I could come to like this more. Let's call it 2.5 for now, with possibilities.

In two words: peppered oriental jerky - oops, that's three. A PerTur, lol.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/408 ... golden-age
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Dai and d... Question:

Hey my knowledgable friends. To be fair I'm not quite sure that what I am tasting - the peppery, meaty, earthy - should be attributed to the Perique (the best I understand from the reviews at TR is that this blend seems to be a bit P-forward).

Thoughts? Thank you.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

The earthiness is very perique like, the spiciness could come from Virginias but if you're getting a spicy prickle in the nose like you would from wasabi then that's more perique. Not sure where the savory is coming from but it could be the turkish va mix.
in goes your eye out