Classics: the truly famous tobacco blends...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Classics: the truly famous tobacco blends...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Of course this will be largely personal opinion, but just like rum (say MGXO) or single malts (Laphroig 10) there are indeed classics...

Now by "classic" I refer to the old and venerable classics, rather than the modern classics. I'll start with just a few from Dunhill:

1. Royal Yacht - a solid, old and well-respected, straight Virginia by Dunhill.

2. London Mixture - considered a "landmark" old blend, a Balkan, nice orientals.

3. Nightcap - a powerful English and a real and beloved classic, like the also classic 965 or London Mixture on steroids.

4. 965 - called the "quintessential" English blend, has been a favorite of many for decades, a Scottish because of a cavendish component.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And a few from Gawith...

1. Squadron Leader: surely an old classic, a competitor to Dunhill's EMP, light to medium, actually on the border between English and Balkan. Criticized for being a bit mild, praised for being a bit mild.

2. Skiff Mixture: often spoken of with Squadron, this one is definitely Oriental-forward and seems to be the preferred in the medium range of latakia bearing blends.

3. Full Virginia Flake aka FVF: I believe the most reviewed classic Virginia on TR. Challenging to prepare and smoke but the general consensus as a must buy and try, and alleged to be more than worth the effort.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Anything from Samuel Gawith or Gawith and Hoggarth (available from GQ Tobacco) is about as classic as it gets. Some old aromatics and some very very strong ropes and plugs. I would buy more from GQ if it wasn't for the cost of shipping.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:And a few from Gawith...

1. Squadron Leader: surely an old classic, a competitor to Dunhill's EMP, light to medium, actually on the border between English and Balkan. Criticized for being a bit mild, praised for being a bit mild.

2. Skiff Mixture: often spoken of with Squadron, this one is definitely Oriental-forward and seems to be the preferred in the medium range of latakia bearing blends.

3. Full Virginia Flake aka FVF: I believe the most reviewed classic Virginia on TR. Challenging to prepare and smoke but the general consensus as a must buy and try, and alleged to be more than worth the effort.
Squadron Leader I liked Skiff I found a bit bland.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:Anything from Samuel Gawith or Gawith and Hoggarth (available from GQ Tobacco) is about as classic as it gets. Some old aromatics and some very very strong ropes and plugs. I would buy more from GQ if it wasn't for the cost of shipping.
Just got an order from GQ today had some Breakfast Blend can recommend it and, some Chocolate and Vanilla aromatic latakia mix it was nice as a sample a fewe weeks agao so got 50gram of it this time. Try some of GQ blends da'rum Glynn makes some fine tobacco's.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition