17 year Benriach Solstice

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
da'rum
Minor God

17 year Benriach Solstice

Post by da'rum »

Non chill filtered, no colouring.
Heavily peated.

I saw a Ralfy video once where he talked about the mellowing of peat over time. He said a 10 or 12 year peated whisky would have a stronger peated taste than it's older siblings. He also stated that the older bottlings were often finished in smaller barrels that had held very young heavily peated whisky. The young whisky was kept for a period of time sufficient for the barrels to take up the smoky flavour. The older and mellowed out whisky was then given a short spell in these barrels to refresh it's peaty notes.

I don't think this whisky is one of those.

It is lovely and it's peatyness apparent and pleasant but not as up and in your face like a younger Ardbeg or Laphroaig.

A very nice aroma with many dimensions not dominated by peat.
After water and a sit it is a wonderfully multifaceted smoky pleasure.
It has a lovely feel and roll over the tongue and draws out it's finish well.
It is a different whisky than what I have experience with as I previously have bought mainly 12 year olds. For the price and it's quality it is something I would recommend to my friends.

A great dram.

More to come after the bottle level has receded sonewhat more.
in goes your eye out
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

I had the Solstice II as a bonus pour at a Glendronach/Benriach tasting and it was fabulous. At the time, it wasn't available in the US, but the distillery representative had personally carried a bottle to our tasting. Since then, I believe that it's available here but still scarce. It was my first wine-finished, peated single malt and it really got me excited. I hope you enjoy the rest of it.

Since then, I've enjoyed Laphroaig Cardeas releases (2013 and 2014), which are similarly wine-finished but with more peat, and there are many others to consider.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Cheers Mark. I'll keep an eye out for those Laphroaig bottles.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

So now after a quarter bottle, I can say that this is very enjoyable. A lovely drop complex and subtle, sweet and soft peat. However. I must say that I like Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10 and NAS's better. I just get more out of them in the way of flavour and enjoyment. The Benriach is class no doubt but not an extra 50€ worth.

Cheers
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Ok forget everything I said in this thread. I've changed glasses and it's changed my whole perspective.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

da'rum wrote:Ok forget everything I said in this thread. I've changed glasses and it's changed my whole perspective.
To? Thanks...