A few whisky news from around the world...

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
JaRiMi
Admiral

A few whisky news from around the world...

Post by JaRiMi »

Apparently Nikka, Japanese whisky maker, has basically low stock of aged spirit, and is trashing their age statement lineup (selling them out, and bringing a new NAS lineup). Yoichi 10yo, Yoichi 15yo, 21yo - all selling now like wildfire, as their prices soar.

GlenDronach 15yo is finito, kaput, out apparently. Well, at least temporarily, if not permanently. A big favorite of many, this sherry bomb with lovely strawberry jam fresh sherry notes has contained much older distillates than 15 years. GlenD was closet for a number of years, and this resulted in lack of suitable aged spirit. Also the 18yo which I personally actually prefer is one day going to be finito, and it too is closer maybe to 23 - 25 years than 18 for same reasons. Buy or whine later when its costing an arm and a leg, or not at all available..

Laphroaig released recently a new 15yo, lets see if it replaces the marvelous 18yo which I adore. The older 15yo was not appreciated so much by many, maybe because it wasn't a huge smoke bomb.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Plus two on the Laphroig 18 (not that I can afford it, but a good friend can and does, and was willing to share, bless him). As far as the Japanese whiskies, you won't need backlighting on your bar, as they may glow in the dark...
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

I picked up a bottle of Nikka Yoichi 15 Year a couple of weeks ago after learning of this news. It had been on my "must buy" list for quite some time after tasting it last year. This is a really good whisky and I highly recommend grabbing a bottle before the craze starts pushing prices up beyond the current $100-110.

As much as I like Laphroaig 18, the old Laphroaig 15, while much more subtle, exhibits complexity that far outclasses the current 18. I've heard reports from the UK that the new Laphroaig 15 won't disappoint the lovers of the old version. That's good news and I can't wait to get a bottle... old or new.

I consider Glendronach 15 to be the best of their lineup... it's one of my favorite single malts in the price range. This is the first that I've heard of it's demise (even temporarily). I'll have to pick up a bottle now.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Tried the Glendronach 21yo (Parliament) as a sample some time ago and was very impressed. Very drinkable and enjoyable.
Suspect that when we get closer to 18 yrs from the day Glendronach was bought from the current owners then the stock will recover.

Regarding Japanese whiskies the situation is ridiculous. Too too expensive. Was looking for the 18yo Yamazaki but now I wont go for it. There are better options out there.