Credit where credit due Dept: Bacardi Ron Superior Heritage

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Credit where credit due Dept: Bacardi Ron Superior Heritage

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I have to say it, I will, and I will again...

This is a great rum and should be the reference rum - no questions asked - for the Cuban style. This is the rum they used to make, and at $18.95 at Total if I were you I'd buy all you can get.

It is magnificent and perfect in my mind. And I won't qualify that in the least. Bacardi, please make this your signature rum once again...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Hear hear - I took it to one of my favorite bars, a Hemingway-themed one, where I'm friends with the bartender and was accompanied by another of my bartender buddies, and they agreed it was superb, and ultra clean - the product of super-clean distillation and cuts, i.e. what Bacardi established itself on.

I still haven't done a methodical testing, but I would note that there's a very prominent "evaporative" effect on the tongue, that leaves behind a very subtle but very pleasant molasses-y finish - that first effect was explained to me as also being typical of a very clean spirit.

It's interesting, I associated "clean" with "lacking flavor", like Don Q Cristal, or vodka, for example, but those don't have that same sparkle. The Heritage Bacardi really is a masterpiece product.

Does anyone know if they're producing more of it? Or is it just warehoused stocks were released to distributors? Why am I only seeing it now, 4 years after it was released?
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Hassouni wrote:Hear hear - I took it to one of my favorite bars, a Hemingway-themed one, where I'm friends with the bartender and was accompanied by another of my bartender buddies, and they agreed it was superb, and ultra clean - the product of super-clean distillation and cuts, i.e. what Bacardi established itself on.

I still haven't done a methodical testing, but I would note that there's a very prominent "evaporative" effect on the tongue, that leaves behind a very subtle but very pleasant molasses-y finish - that first effect was explained to me as also being typical of a very clean spirit.

It's interesting, I associated "clean" with "lacking flavor", like Don Q Cristal, or vodka, for example, but those don't have that same sparkle. The Heritage Bacardi really is a masterpiece product.

Does anyone know if they're producing more of it? Or is it just warehoused stocks were released to distributors? Why am I only seeing it now, 4 years after it was released?

Its very easy to overlook when you don't look at or have interest in the generally sub par Bacardi sea of rums. I was lucky to stop in a shop when it first came out and gave it a shot. I was in a small store with 4 or 5 other people in the rum section and the owner came over talking it up. At that time it was a dollar more than a bottle of regular superior but 750 vs 1L if memory serves. The others grabbed the regular stuff but I wanting something a little more special in a small store with very limited options decided on it and have been drinking a case so a year all taken neat with no ice.

The flavor on it is incredible while it has the "inability to burn the throat" indeed a rum not to lose sight of. I plan on getting a case this weekend I am down to my last bottle. I have a store about 20 mins from me with 100s on a shelve for 13.00 each... lucky me.

We can only hope Bacardi is listening here and starts to produce this excellent rum with the same quality again of its first release.

My only complaint with the product is that it can be too easy to get carried away so I always measure the amounts carefully and do not to exceed 9 oz during a weekday to maintain clarity during the workday.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Hundreds!! It's really rare here :(
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Hassouni wrote:Hundreds!! It's really rare here :(
Not sure where you are but think you mentioned MD before. This store seems to stock it. As well as Myers platinum white for 13.99 a bottle...decent deal. Old monk supreme and some rarer small batch offerings from south bay and bull run.

bull run link:
http://bullrundistillery.com/rum/

Really interesting American made Rum.

http://www.mpliquors.com/liquor#regularrum
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

60€ here. Ah no thanks.
in goes your eye out
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I managed to get about 8 of them a few weeks ago.

Had too many whiskeys I had to taste to get to tasting it yet, but I'm on the case for more of these, as I prepare for ending 2015 in a self-taught cocktail mad science lab meltdown...
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

mamajuana wrote:
Hassouni wrote:Hundreds!! It's really rare here :(
Not sure where you are but think you mentioned MD before. This store seems to stock it. As well as Myers platinum white for 13.99 a bottle...decent deal. Old monk supreme and some rarer small batch offerings from south bay and bull run.

bull run link:
http://bullrundistillery.com/rum/

Really interesting American made Rum.

http://www.mpliquors.com/liquor#regularrum
Just went there yesterday and got their last 2!
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

mamajuana wrote: Old monk supreme
Incidentally, Houston is currently awash in Old Monk Supreme. I started buying it up when I saw it until I twigged that hey, this isn't dusty stuff, the city has just had a huge new wave of shipments!!!
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Scored two bottles of this Bacardi in a small ABC store in Little River NC while on vacation at Sunset Beach. WOW...*very* nice. Extremely smooth when sipped neat...and it makes a spectacular daiquiri. I even made a Hemingway with it and it even shined in that application. Great stuff and thanks for the heads up.