Greetings from Texas

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
Limbo Lizard
Landlubber

Greetings from Texas

Post by Limbo Lizard »

Ahoy,

I’m now 56, but my serious interest in rums began in my very late teens, and grew from my fascination with faux-Polynesian restaurants like Trader Vic’s and Don the Beachcombers. I was drawn by the exotic atmosphere and mystery they evoked, and I especially liked the exotic cocktails. Chemistry had been an earlier hobby – making these drinks seemed to combine chemistry, magic and sin! As a young man, I couldn’t afford many drinks at Vic’s or Don’s – I’d nurse one for an hour or more, enjoying just “being there”.

So, I set out to learn how to make the drinks at home, with Trader Vic’s Bartenders Guide (1972 ed.) as my initial source. This led me to seek more information about rum, while collecting an assortment of rums, glasses and barware, etc. Alas, these were the dying days of the original “tiki craze”, and soon the Don’s and Vic’s in my city of Dallas were closed. Many "essential" rums disappeared from local stores. I hunted liquor shops on vacations, and brought home my treasures. My devotion to rum and the lost tiki culture became a private interest, an underground hobby. I always kept a ‘rum bar’ at home. I was unaware of the California-centered “tiki revival” in the late 90’s. I didn’t catch on to resurgence in tiki, and associated rum culture, until the “2nd Revival”, maybe around 2005. Along with the “classic cocktail revival”, it seems to have spurred the market for good rum, and so much more has become available, here. Though historically, my interest in rums was in the context of certain drinks, in ‘my old age’, I’ve also taken to enjoying them as a “sipper”. I have around 35 to 40 rums, currently (not counting some spiced and flavored rums),… and only one of them is a Bacardi! :)

I follow the Tiki Central forum, along with various rum-related blogs and forums. What attracted my interest to the Rum Project was the effort of Capn Jimbo (and others) to help “out” the (denied!) practice of adding sugar to rum, and determine the added sugar content of rums. This was something I’d wondered about for years. I bought a hydrometer set and graduate cylinders, and hope to soon test some rums that haven’t “hit the charts”, yet (as well as some other spirits I’m curious about). Meanwhile, know that I appreciate all the info (and entertainment) from Capn Jimbo and you other Rum Project members.

Limbo Lizard
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I'm just the Compleat Idiot...

Without the considerable participation of the few that earn the right to be here, this movement toward purity, truth, honesty and legality would have gone nowhere. And as I've said for some years now - to our mutual benefit - the world of rogue rum is remarkably small, and what is discussed here is read all over the world, as the word spreads.

Sugar is just the tip of the iceberg. Consider unsupported age claims, the premiumization of rum, the humongous multi-billion dollar subsidies to the Big Three, the takeover of 95% of the shelves by shite, and there you are.

The good news: there are a remarkable number of pure alternatives now on the Master List (over 437 tests), and many more to come. We look forward to your tests and participation.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Welcome Glad to have you on board
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Post by Blade Rummer »

Welcome to the Project!
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

Welcome to a fellow Texan and Dallasite.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)