Glen Moray distillery

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
JaRiMi
Admiral

Glen Moray distillery

Post by JaRiMi »

In the age of a massive boom in demand for most famous brands of single malt whisky, one may be positively surprised by some of the perhaps slightly less known distilleries and their malts. One such distillery/brand is definitely Glen Moray, a distillery I visited recently.

The distillery produces about 3,3 million litres annually, which may seem like a lot. But once they get the new stills (made in Italy!) in and expand, they'll be making 6,7 million annually! The (malted) barley is concerto, and fermentation is done for about 50hrs, producing a nice new make with a lot of floral notes in there. All the whisky is apparently matured on site, and the distillery offers a very nice "distillery only" sherry cask bottling that any visitor can bottle on site by themselves (for a very reasonable price).

We tasted amazing quality whiskies at the distillery. Worth noting that these malts, unlike many others today, did not cost an arm and a leg - they were very reasonably priced. The visitor centre was really nice, and the tour was as transparent as any - all questions answered, all aspects of production openly shown.

The 30-year old Glen Moray and some port "finish" (kept in port wine casks for many years - is it anymore a finish?) samples from bottled stuff and 1988 cask were really amazing. The 30yo costs 180 GBP, which if compared to some others is a real bargain today. It was an intense cocktail of tropical fruits and an "antique" feel to the taste, which was pleasant enough for me to buy a bottle. I would nto bypass this distillery or its bottlings any more - compared to some big name distilleries where produce is not enough, they offer a good bang for the buck.
Last edited by JaRiMi on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Thanks, Jarimi.

I'll keep my eye out for this one.