New Petition: Against unlabelled addition of sugar

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

New Petition: Against unlabelled addition of sugar

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks to Cyril, who provided this link and who I believe, created this petition...

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... %3FnzKYdbb

Cyril, do correct me if this is not your petition... all others, please be SURE to sign it. Thank you!
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

thank you for the link. And yes i launched it this morning.
Not sure about the results, but it may be useful...who knows.

everyone can send a word the EU too, using that link, and let them know what we think :
http://europa.eu/europedirect/write_to_us/index_en.htm

And i've sent an email to the both consumer's association we've got out there.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

I really hope that as many as possible sign this petition, because it may start a change - and be a first step in achieving honesty in rum business.

So many rum bloggers, rum fans out there - sign it please, for Rum's sake.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Please note cyril's link to an EU page wherein you can express your opinion in re sugar, et al. I too urge all to both sign cyril's petition, and to also post your opinion at the EU. Here's what I posted...
"I am webmaster of The Rum Project, the world's largest free and independent rum appreciation forum, with over 500,000 hits/month from all over the world.

I can tell you that my members and readers are all VERY concerned about the unlabelled addition of sugar and other adulterants added to otherwise pure rum. Because this is unlabelled and the bottle still claim to be "rum", this is extremely misleading.

It appears that flavored and sweetened rums are being sold for what they are not. These are not pure aged rums, but altered products trying to taste and be sold as one.

This also puts consumers at risk for added ingredients that may affect their health, eg excess sugar and/or allergies to other unlabelled additives such as glycerine and artificial flavors.

Consumers have a right to know what has been secretly added to their bottle of "rum".
Eu:
http://europa.eu/europedirect/write_to_us/index_en.htm

Petition:
1https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/petition/la ... %3FnzKYdbb
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Not sure if I signed it I did try but google translate is awkward to use.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Post by Blade Rummer »

I just signed it, don't know if the European Commision cares what a Canadian thinks, but it's a start.

I have to admit I've been pessimistic about any chance for change in the world of RINO (Rums in Name Only). As someone who had to waste money on Zacapa and Plantation rums (based on overwhelming online reviews) before stumbling upon Appleton, Barbancourt, etc, I've always been frustrated at the state of unregulated and unlabeled additives in rum.

However, I am now hopeful things can change. This is due entirely to the amazing work of everyone here at the Project who took the time to measure sugar in rum or post on blogs (and have their posts deleted like mine were lol) or started including values in their own rum sites. So a big congratulations to Jimbo and Cyril and theFatrumpirate and everyone else who contributed in bringing this issue to a point where even I think change is possible :)

Just think, unlike some other rum forums, the Project actually serves a greater purpose then simply listing the latest rums you've purchased :wink:
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks for your support and comment, but please know that the sugar and additives issue has been fought for at least eight years (if not more), and involved many people, most of whom post here.

I dare not thank each one by name, as my aging brain might leave someone out. So thanks to all of them - the Project is simply a sympathetic and open avenue and home for this ongoing effort.

Obviously, there's still plenty of altered crap out there, but there are more and more pure and real rums out there, as evidenced by the nearly 500 sugar tests (worth a look). It appears France has gotten the messege - cyril expect them to be next with testing....
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

Signed, sealed, delivered