Buffalo Trace and Bourbon Choices

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Dai
Minor God

Buffalo Trace and Bourbon Choices

Post by Dai »

Tried a glass of Buffalo Trace yesterday, very nice for a bottom of the range type bourbon. Might try some bourbon's any reccomendations but not expensive the stuff. Keep it arond £$30/35 mark. Just fancy trying something a little different. So far Bourbon seems a bit more value and choice than Scotch in that price range.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

Prices and availability are so different in the UK (e.g. BT IS $20 here). Can you provide a list of what's available there (or what you're considering and I can respond to that?

I looked at Master of Malt and only Jim Beam Black caught my attention at that price point.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

bearmark wrote:Prices and availability are so different in the UK (e.g. BT IS $20 here). Can you provide a list of what's available there (or what you're considering and I can respond to that?

I looked at Master of Malt and only Jim Beam Black caught my attention at that price point.
Cheers Mark I appreciate you taking the time to check it out.

Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I would recommend these, in this order:

Your first wheater and possibly the best value in the BT catalog:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-15326.aspx (Old Weller Antique)

107 proof gives you lots of control on how you like to add your water.

For the Heaven Hill Distillery, there is the Evan Williams that Da'Rum recommended, but there is also this infamously high quality value pour, at 94:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-1056.aspx (Elkijah Craig 12)

I also second 4 Roses, but would spring for the Single Barrel, for the extra 10 proof and single barrel character (but the small batch is also as great as DR suggests):

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-10251.aspx (Four Roses Single Barrel)

For some reason Elmer T Lee seems to cost more than double in the UK what it does in the US. It makes no sense to me at all, when these others above don't seem to have the same markup ratio. Too bad, because in the US ETL is my choice for daily pour for around $35.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Great tips from TBT. The Elijah Craig is a nice drop.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:Great tips from TBT. The Elijah Craig is a nice drop.
I think Ralfy did a review of this may be I'll check it out.

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Speaking of Ralfy...

Recommended bourbon, rye and American whiskies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvhKbk8-44I

The above is HIGHLY recommended for a good overview, some nice choices and the beginning of a way to understand and appreciate American whisky (considering that the true Americans - our Indians - were painfully dispossessed).

For the whole list of his bourbon reviews (and there are many):
https://www.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff ... ry=bourbon

Hope this is of use...
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

Eagle Rare 10 Year Old would be another good Buffalo Trace product with better mouthfeel and a profile that exposes flavors of dark fruit, tobacco and cocoa. It's a single barrel offering, so there are variations, but every one that I've had was very good.

I've never had Four Roses Small Batch, but it's got quite a following and every product that I've had from them has been very good. They're one of the more interesting distillers with 10 mash bill recipes and a well respected and well liked master distiller.

I would also recommend Evan Williams Vintage Single Barrel, but it might be out of your price range a bit. As the Cap'n points out, Ralfy would probably be a good source of recommendations for the UK.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

My local supermarket has Buffalo Trace and Four Roses I opted for the Buffalo Trace as my first go a bourbon. Would of liked to have the Four Roses but, she who must be obeyed looked at me with daggers
With all the rum I bought at the rumfest. So the BF it was.

I've got to admit for a £20 bourbon very smooth for it's price compared to a similar rum. Why can't low end rum be of this quality?

edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Promise not to laugh...come on, PROMISE!!

Ok...here it goes...

Old Granddad BIB

Seriously..the bottled in bond Old granddad is *really* good. Huge bang for the buck.

A few others that haven't been mentioned are Old Overholt and Rittenhouse. Both are Rye whiskeys but very good stuff.

I'll also vouch for the Buffalo Trace and Elijah Craig. Both are stunning examples of excellent whiskeys.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Thanks for the recommendations.

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Sorry, a late and recent addition...

...as just for the fun of it I had a dram of a nearly finished Evan Williams White Label (100 proof, BIB) and was struck by it's vanilla, apple pie spices and peppery finish - well balanced and so well done I didn't ever realize it was 100 proof until I read the fine print after. And a bargain?

Oy ve!

But do keep in mind that I defer to all of the above, who know bourbon far better than I. I will say that coming at the EW as rum taster, I really was impressed...