Review: Oliva Serie G Maduro Robusto

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.

How do you rate Oliva Serie G Maduro Robusto (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Oliva Serie G Maduro Robusto

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Oliva Serie G Maduro Robusto: Spiced dark chocolate

...a box pressed, dark, dark Camaroon Maduro:
Wrapper: Cameroon (African)
Binder: Cuban-Seed Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan Habano
Vitolas: 10 Natural
Size: Robusto, 4.5 x 50

I'll get right to it. A love rich and very dark cigar, that reeks of quality construction. The plain Camaroon version gets widespread top ratings (91-2), but many reviewers like the rich Maduro even more. Truth be told, the Camaroon AF Short Story (Hemingway) was one of my early favorites as I truly enjoy the vegetal effect of a good Camaroon wrapper, but that alone cannot carry a cigar - at least for me.

Add the bitter chocolate of the Maduro Camaroon wrapper, and I'm in heaven. Combine chocolate with tones of coffee, a modest Nicaraguan spice, and a nutty effect as well and I'm there! Nice draw, one or two minor corrections in the burn, the Serie G Camaroon Maduro delivered all the way, from the first third to the nub.

I must admit, I was pouring a Ron Medellin 3 Anos for a perfect accompaniment - three drams plus a nicotine hit was the perfect nightcap. This is one of the few cigars I've had that tempted me to consider a box, along with the 5 Vegas Series A, Artisan.

Bottom line: a lovely, attractive, top quality cigar in every respect for those that enjoy a nice 40 minute smoke.

Score (ten is best): strong 8, borderline 9