Review: Sutliff's Bosphorus Cruise

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Sutliff's Bosphorus Cruise

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Sutliff's Bosphorus Cruise: Sweetly Oriental

Oriental/Turkish (Smryna)
Latakia (Cyprian)
Red Virginia

"Exotic... a classic flavor that's reminiscent of ancient Oriental and Middle Eastern-style blends."

A sweet Balkan

By now you are fully aware that this is a blend of oriental, latakia and red virginia, pretty much in that order and just as advertised on the tin. This blend begins oriental forward, thus making it a Balkan with the red virginia sweetness in lovely harmony, and the latakia way, way back. But as the bowl develops so does the strength, but never overpowering and with a changing interplay between these three very well chosen components. Sipping is recommended - not because of tongue bite - but more to get all the changing subtleties of this remarkable blend.

Yes, I know some have criticized the Bosphorus as "bland", but I suspect that observation comes from pipers who like their latakia forward English blends.. To me, the beauty of this blend is the superb balance and harmony. Oriental perfume, red virginia sweetness, and latakia smoky mild pepper with an occasional woodsy tobacco richness. At times merging into one another, but with each coming forward intermittently and with an exquisite oriental retrohale.

Smooth, balanced, dry and tasty. Nice. Actually a 3+...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWR2Zg7KFDo
(Great reviewer, must see)