Review: Romeo y Julieta 1875 Churchill

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Romeo y Julieta 1875 Churchill

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Romeo y Julieta 1875 Churchill: Classic but flawed

Altadis is the huge company that owns R&J; the 1875 is one of their older products, long produced first in Cuba, and now in the DR. Unusual Indonesian wrapper, the rest - binder and filler from the Dominican Republic.

I'll be honest and tell you that the 1875 is not my cuppa java but it's really quite nice. Looks beautiful, and for the most part is rather a lovely medium in almost every regard. The Indo wrapper provides an unusual lemon peppery/spicy effect, while the DR components provide an almost floral sweetness. Beautiful white ash that held on for almost 3 inches. Lovely even and self-correcting burn, and nice even draw. As the smoke progresses you can find a bit of coffee, leather, cedar and a wisp of cacao or hazelnut.

Classic in the traditional sense, si.

As a whole the 1875 is smooth, integrated, balanced and consistent. As most would prefer, it picks up strength smoothly but without being overpowering

So far, so good. But there's a downside - the 1875 really does have an issue with quality. It's spongy, and there are many reports of burn issues, and tunneling - which included mine. About halfway, the draw went to hell, and required a major relight, following which the cigar recovered.

And in this way, the beautiful looking 1875 fails. At $7.50 I expect consistent good construction, and the consensus is otherwise. Sponginess doesn't cut it. Tunneling doesn't cut it. Having to do more than minor corrections is simply unacceptable at this price.

A shame. Like Brando, this one coulda been a contender...