Cold brew

Coffee, cigars and rum go togther like priests and choirboys. Indeed the brothers are known to have a tipple now and then. Oh and some rum, cigars and Belgian beer as well, lol...
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Cold brew

Post by Blade Rummer »

Have any of you tried cold brewing coffee? I did for the first time today and I am quite pleased. I prepared it yesterday when I got home from work (5pm) and filtered it this morning (6am), per the instructions from :

https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/b ... rew-coffee

It was super easy : I used 1/3 cup coffee grounds (medium-dark roast, medium grind) for 1 cup filtered water in a small glass bottle. Then in the fridge for 12 hours or so, to quote Tom Petty "The waiting is the hardest part" :)

Since I only made a cup I was able to filter it with a normal Melitta cone filter in no time at all.

You can even keep the coffee in the fridge for a week, although I brought it to work to share with a friend and it's all gone :-(

Having had my cup, I would say that I don't think I would use a lighter roast, as it's already pretty light and smooth and I think with a lighter roast you would be left with more of those light floral/fruity notes that I don't care for, but I may be wrong.

I will probably try it with my usual espresso roast next time to compare.

For those who have had coffee from an Aeropress, it's similar in taste, although with still less acidity, a really good cup and very smooth and well-rounded, I don't care for ice coffee so I poured 1/3 of a cup of the concentrate and made up a cup with hot water. If however, you do like ice coffee, then you could simply pour the extract over ice and the metling ice won't dilute the taste of the coffee.

For those looking for an easy way to enjoy a good cup first thing in the morning, this may just be perfect : You brew up a weeks worth and filter it the first morning, then for all the following days, you simply have to boil water to make up your coffee like you were
drinking instant coffee. I know that's what I'll be doing from now on.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Nice post, thanks, will try it...