Stained Glass Dept: Keeping your tasting glass clean...

It's tea time ladies, grab yer mugs! Drink it fast or sip it slow. About glasses, how ta crook yer pinkie, nosing and tasting techniques and equipment. May your cup - and your women - be bottomless!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Stained Glass Dept: Keeping your tasting glass clean...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Now this is probably not news, but...

...I'd be remiss if I didn't share this. I have tasted literally thousands of drams in a favorite, small apple shaped tasting glass - to the point that my regular glass developed a very light tan shade, especially near the bottom. It happened so slowly and gradually that I came to accept this as just normal aging of glasses used for brown spirits. But just for fun...

I tried the following:

I filled my glass to the brim with full strength bleach solution and left it overnight. To my surprise, the "bleaching" actually worked and voila! My tasting glass was like new again. And now? I kinda miss the tone, lol...
schlimmerdurst
Cabin Boy

Geriatrics

Post by schlimmerdurst »

I had the very same problem with my gaiwan (tea nosing cup made of china). Brown stains from the tea. I also thought about using bleach, but got a different tip for a bit less aggressive solution: use a denture cleaning product - in Germany, we have "Kukident". Drop a tablet into warm water in your glass, let it stay for some hours, and voila! Cleaner than your grandpa's ivories!

But you're right - maybe you're missing something now. I know of a legend of a Chinese teapot that was so much used over generations that nowadays you don't have to add tea leaves to the pot, only water, to get fragrant tea!

Imagine that with rum! I'll never clean my glasses now... :lol: