Mini Review: Evan Williams White Label BIB

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Mini Review: Evan Williams White Label BIB

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Evan Williams White Label BIB: Baked Apple Pie

I said this will be a mini-review, and though I know you doubt me, it will be. Ha! EWWL is a lower shelf product that should be a coupla shelves higher. Sells for maybe $12 or $13 which if it proves out, would be a Best Buy. Considering that BIB means this whisky was aged at 100 proof for at least 4 years under US Government supervision, the Evan Williams White has a shot at being not simply a Best Buy, but a Fackin Awesome Buy.

Is it?

Yes. I have no idea why I opened this older bottle but it was late, dark and I was tired. I was glad I did. Lovely sweet corn, vanilla and spiced apple pie aromas, all of which carry through with great consistency and harmony to a lightly astrigent hot black pepper and clove finish.

Another shocker was that it was not until I finished the dram - having truly marvelled at every single enjoyable sip - that I read the bottle to recall that yes, this was a BIB bottled at a surprising 100 proof. It was so sippable that I'd never have know. Will have at the Evan Williams White Label again tonight, and this time add a touch of water as it surely deserves.

Bottom Line: A Fackin Awesome Value, and a must buy for any fan of fine rum. You'll love it...
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

Agreed... this whiskey is a true bargain. It's hard to refer to EWBiB as "bottom shelf" even thought this is where you'll typically find it. It's better than some "top shelf" bourbons that I've tasted. Every bourbon drinker should at least give it a try.

If you can get a bottle of Heaven Hill 6 Year Bottled-in-Bond ($10-11), then you'll be equally impressed if not more so. It tastes like an older whiskey and probably is, since EWBiB is only required to be 4 years old and isn't age stated. Heaven Hill (maker of both of these whiskies) really delivers some fine products at an affordable price point.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Also...IIRC BIB booze needs to be from the same maker and must be from the same year. It is clearly a higher quality even when it is from the lower shelves. One of my favorites is Old Granddad BIB. Shockingly good given the price.
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

edgarallanpoe wrote:Also...IIRC BIB booze needs to be from the same maker and must be from the same year. It is clearly a higher quality even when it is from the lower shelves. One of my favorites is Old Granddad BIB. Shockingly good given the price.
Here's a recent article detailing the history of Bottled in Bond whiskey and, though it might not carry the same importance as when the Act was signed into law, there are still some fine whiskeys carrying on the tradition at a bargain price.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
schlimmerdurst
Cabin Boy

More of it

Post by schlimmerdurst »

Really nice article. In one of my reviews, I wrote that these artifacts from former times, like BiB, or the German "Reinheitsgebot", are actually hindering modern exploration of new ways to produce spirits.

I retracted that statement somewhat after learning of the evil secrets of the rum business. It would have been good if they had had something like it.

By the way, I own a bottle of EWBiB as well, and though it's somewhat overshadowed by other Bourbons in my collection, I like its 100 proof power combined with Bourbon mellowness at some desperate times.