Sugaring Dept: And cigars too?

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Sugaring Dept: And cigars too?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Yup...

...as it is I have smoked a number of cigars over my lifetime. There is a cigar classified as a "Maduro", which are simply cigars that are rolled with a darker wrapper (from top leaves closer to the sun, and longer fermentation and storage at higher temperatures).

The additional sun and processing is costly, but produces a wrapper leave that is higher in natural sugars (think of a rum that absorbs some natural wood sugars inherent in a toasted barrel). Maduro lovers really dig the deeper dark chocolate, cacao, expresso and coffee flavors which are in fact, a bit sweet (but only a bit).

Now I won't waste your time but the natural sweetening by the sun, longer fermentation, higher temperatures, steam and pressing are time-tested, natural ways to increase the natural sugar inherent in the tobacco leaves.

Now for the cheaters:

All of the preceeding involves time, artistry and money so naturally - just like fackin rum - there are cheaters. What do they do? Simple:

They take young, light, undeveloped leaves and yup! They simply dye them, often spraying on a sugar solution. Is this cheating? You bet your arse it is, and the makers of quality cigars say so too. The dye and sugar spray can be so heavy that smoking one of these faux-maduros will actually stain your hands and lips, which you will also be licking.

Ugh. The point: there will always be cheaters, monkeys who care not about reality, honesty or quality and the world does not lack for fooles with money in their pocket to burn.

Literally...