Review Arturo Fuente: Sun Grown Chateau (Robusto)

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review Arturo Fuente: Sun Grown Chateau (Robusto)

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Review, Arturo Fuente Chateau Sun Grown...

If you read the amateur reviews, as on "Puff.com", the boyz just dig this one, but count me out. A few real reviewers seem to agree.

The quality and presentation are typical AF, well made, well presented, dependable, nice light and draw. The burn - this is not one to leave in the ashtray while you get a beer - it'll be out, and require some work to keep going if you look away for more than minute. That's a real bother, and a deal breaker for me.

The taste: like so many cigars the first 1/4 to 1/2 inch is encouraging, that reminds me of the wonderful AF camaroon leaf flavors - very nice. But soon an element kicks in - not the smoke per se, but a citrusy, sourish, burnt sort of aftertaste. I made every attempt to struggle with frequent puffing, and hoping this burnt earth sensation would pass, but nada, nix, no way. It just kept on keeping on and I just wasn't willing to struggle and endure hoping for a change.

This wrapper is an Ecuadoran sun grown, and there is certainly a cadre of AF fans who find this tart burnt sensation somehow really quite classic, and ergo nice. Go figure, 'cause I'm not there, and doubt I'll ever be. Yes, that is entirely personal - but maybe not - as if you look long enough you'll find I was not alone in this experience.

Wouldn't buy again. Wouldn't give one to a friend. To Burr though...