Worthy Park Silver Root

The second standard reference style: aromatic, robust and full flavored - it's absolutely dunderful. To our ships at sea! May they sink very slowly!
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Worthy Park Silver Root

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Picked up a bottle of this and the Spiced Root on sale for $17.99 a piece. I'll break my review down into a few different categories.

1. Presentation. Like our fearless leader, I believe that presentation matters, but it is a delicate balance for sure. Clearly you don't want the bottle to cost five times the rum inside, but this is originally a $30.00 bottle of rum. Both of my bottles have wrinkled labels. Is it a big deal? Of course not. But it does deserves mentioning. The rest of the package is plain and has nothing worth noting. The other thing that is head scratching is the odd font they use. That makes the label neigh impossible to read from any distance, which in turn negates the use of the Marley family name to entices a shopper to buy the rum. 4/10

2. Nose. Not much of interest here. Some very nice sugarcane notes. Nothing complex but to be fair, this is a silver rum and I wasn't expecting much complexity. 5/10

3. Taste. I like this rum. I tasted it in several different ways. First was neat, in a double rocks glass. First sip was very heavy on the cane flavor. A little bit prickly on the tongue but that didn't last long and was replaced very quickly with a sweet and savory cane finish. No complexity but a solid good tasting rum. Putting it on ice took away the prickliness and added to the round, smooth cane flavor. It's a decent sipper if your looking for something simple and straight forward.

The second variation of tasting took place in the form of a daiquiri. 2oz of rum, juice of 1 lime freshly squeezed, 1/2 oz of home made simple syrup. Stirred over ice until well chilled and strained into a coup glass and finished with a dash of mole bitters from a local distillery (Wigle distillery in Pittsburgh). Very nice. The heavy cane flavor balances very well with the tartness of the lime and makes for a very nice cocktail. The rum held its own and was never covered up by the other ingredients. If you like your daiquiri tart, this is not the rum to use.

The third variation I used was in a Cuba libre. 2oz rum, squeezed lime wedge and spent shell dropped in glass, 4.5 oz Mexican Coke, splash of aromatic bitters. Good stuff. The flavor of the rum is never covered up by the other ingredients. Cane still pulls through and yet the drink is never overly sweet or cloying. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Overall flavor rating a solid 6/10. Heavy cane flavor with little complexity but when used in a cocktail never gets lost. Smooth.

Overall rating is a 5. Nothing great but a solid rum. A disappointment at $30.00 but a very nice bargain at $17.99.