Traditional Tobacco Pt 2 Pigtail Twist

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
da'rum
Minor God

Traditional Tobacco Pt 2 Pigtail Twist

Post by da'rum »

This will be a write up on two types of Pigtail Twist as they are so similar that it doesn't make any sense to separate them.

So Pigtail Twist Rum & Sweet Rum

This is a twist that is much smaller in diameter to the Black XXX and was primarily used by sailers and miners as chew tobacco. The Larger diameter twists were also used as chews but pigtail was in the end preferred due to easier to handle size.

The Miners and sailors could not smoke on ships and in mines for obvious reasons that is why these chews were so popular. They stuffed these in their pipes when out of hazards way.

Pigtail twist is my favourite tobacco in both Rum and Sweet rum, this is Virginia at it's finest. It smells like the dry glass of a peated scotch that you didn't wash the night before and tastes sweet and mild. It has spice, light fresh cut hay and leather on the exhale and is full taste the whole smoke through.

It's nicotine content is still very high and therefore must, again, be approached with caution.

Preparation is again time consuming because it comes wet so needs a good amount of drying time.

I cut small coins from the twist with a pair of scissors and let them dry out then rub them out or fold and stuff them.

The write up from GQ

A thin, hand spun twist. Made from strong Virginia's and soaked in Rum. The resulting tobacco is ideal for slicing up and smoking in a pipe. The thin nature of the rope makes this more flavoursome than the thicker (Irish) twist, but more teedious to cut. To smoke this is very rich and strong tobacco. The smoke is peppery with lots of earthy and musky flavours. The addition of rum, adds a little extra extra, but in no ways makes this your usual aromatic. 

As I said, this is a great tobacco and something I couldn't recommend more.

Have at it my hearties!
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

d...

...thanks for yet another super post, a real eye opener. FWIW Pipes and Cigar's just sent me a catalog filled with sale items (many things half off). Don't know if these are on there, but I'm sorely tempted to try these classic and very traditional forms.

How could I not, really...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

You must try these Jimbo. You may not like them but they are a must. I forgot to mention the sweet rum Pigtail is sweeter than the rum Pigtail but neither smell or taste of rum. I think the rum may just take any sharp edges off the Virginia and give it a little more depth.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

How much of a nic hit is pigtail?
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Not as much as the XXX but pretty close. The pigtail should definitely not be smoked on an empty stomach. I do smoke full medium to large sized bowls of it though.
in goes your eye out