"Navazos Palazzi" Double Barreled Cask Strength Sp

Thanks to JaRiMi, one of the very few honest and rum knowledgable experts about - and an advocate of a Trinidadian style. The rum to cause this category: Scarlet Ibis.
mamajuana
Admiral

"Navazos Palazzi" Double Barreled Cask Strength Sp

Post by mamajuana »

This rum is something of an oddity to say the least as my research well indicates. It was obtained by an Italian Sherry producer over 11 years ago. It is a rum from my research obtained from a distillery in the Dominican Republic. My research indicates it was obtained from the Brugal distillery.

The rum was shipped in casks to Italy in a trade for sherry casks. It was 5 years tropically aged at that time. After it was in Italy it was put into sherry casks for 10-11 further years at this time. This makes the rum 15-16 years old at bottling.

The rum is 51% ABV at cask strength. It was selling at its release in 2013 for 155-185 dollars per bottle. In late 2014 it went down to 100 dollars per bottle after its 2nd release. The plan is for 1500 bottles per year for 5 years each year the release adds an additional year to its age.

This rum I bought recently when Astor wines had an amazing rum sale for 84.00. I hear great things from this bottle. I for some reason can't wait to taste this rum as I love sherry cask rum.

Anyone have any thought or experience or thoughts on this rum?

Last edited by mamajuana on Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamajuana
Admiral

Re: "Navazos Palazzi" Double Barreled Cask Strengt

Post by mamajuana »

To review soon
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

I just tried a Navazos Manzanilla at Corkbuzz in Manhattan, and it was amazing. I'm sure the rum is great, let us know!
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I'd never heard of this. Very interesting.

I don't think I've had much experience with sherry finished rums, but I definitely did enjoy the port pipe Bristol stuff.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Wish I coulf find it in UK.

Equipo Navazos was created by 2 spanish guys who liked sherry a lot. They found an old cask of sherry in one bodega ( sherry was not popular few yrs ago so this was possible) which they liked a lot and bottled it for their friends. When they saw demand for it , they strting going to other bodegas and issuibg more bottles. They name them as 'La bota de Amontillado/Palo Cortado/ 1-2-3 etc...'

They have a very very good reputation in sherry. Have drunk few of their bottles and they are very good...

Anyone seen this rum in UK or EU?
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

Did you every get around to tasting this? the rum world awaits :D
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

It's fucking delicious
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Great stuff Hass... thanks for the post...