Yes, size counts Dept: Size and flavors...

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Yes, size counts Dept: Size and flavors...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

When you read reviews...

You'll often find that reviewers (a) have a favourite size or (b) like spirits can be overly dramatic, vague and/or flowery in their descriptions.

This thread should become a good one, but let's start here:

http://www.puff.com/Content/Puff-Lifest ... cigar.html

Chime in...
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

I love good cigar with rum. One of my go to cigars is the brickhouse Maduro, burns well and does not overpower the rum. A well made cigar at an excellent price point. Maduro cigars are my favorite with rums by far I like a good Padron or rocky here and there. I used to actually smoke 3 different Maduro cigars during a tasting session to find out what the best match was.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Hey Mama, coincidentally I too tried a Brickhouse Maduro, and yes, it goes well with a good rum or whisky.

Liked it and maduro in general but especially the quality of dark chocolate (and also cacao and coffee) that a very few maduros seem to have. For me that would be the Oliva G Serie or the 5 Vegas Artisan (I like the Robustos, just long enough to enjoy a few drams).

Of course this thread is about size, and there's no doubt that we all seek or like certain flavors. And I'm not into loooong smokes, so I tend to stay away from say a Churchill. I do like the Lancero size - long but smaller ring.

But what I'm curious about is this: you'll see reviewers who for example might say they like a Sancho Panza double maduro - but - only a certain size, say a Torpedo, best and NOT for the length or smoking time, but for the noticeable taste differences of that particular size.

Now I know that very expensive cigars may use different leaves at different points along the length of the roll, such that the smoker will get different flavors at different points. I also know that smaller rings tend to emphasize the wrapper, the source of the flavor, and thus will be more flavorful (they also note that a smaller ring should be smoked slower to avoid overheating and to maximize that flavor advantage).

I guess what I'm after is that why a modestly priced cigar - which I assume uses the same leaves in all lengths and rings - may find more favor, better flavor by reviewers at a certain length.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

After some research, here's what appears to be the consensus...

• 1. Ring gauge determines the ratio of wrapper (main flavor) to binder (different) and filler (least flavor). A smaller RG emphasizes the wrapper, a larger RG produces smoke with more influence from the binder and filler.

2. Size (length) determines time of smoke, obviously. A longer vitola/cigar smokes cooler and longer, while the shorter cigars may be perceived as smoking hotter, although this may be accounted for - to some degree - by the tendency to rush a smaller, shorter cigar (true).
Of course this raises the question: what the ideal size/length, and ring guage? Answer: although the consensus of smokers is that a Robusto is the best size to buy to examine a blend, there is some evidence that the Corona is the size many cigar companies choose to best represent the ratio and taste they intend for the line, ie they blend to the Corona size - then the others are produced.

Since not all makers have a designated "Corona", the intended blend is most likely to be found in a cigar that is 5-6 inches x 42-48 RG.

More tidbits and tips...

Another generality is that smaller RG's are unlikely to contain liguero top, strong leaves as they would overpower the cigar in a smaller size; instead they are alleged to use more of the lower, far less tasty volvado leaves, which are used to promote even burning, and less for taste.

It is fair to say that many smokers "rush" a smaller size, when in fact they should be especially sipped to promote and prolong the flavor (and not overheat). Because many of us seek the large volume of smoke (easy on a big cigar), that invevitably leads us to "push" the smaller one to get large clouds of smoke - unfortunately this also overheats the smaller size with unpleasant or less desirable effects.

Flat Ass Bottom Line:

1. Start with a Robusto (4-5/8 x 50) or Corona (5-58 x 42), preferably the Corona (and sip it, no more than 1 puff per minute - keep it cool).

2. Sloooow down, and sip. Treat like you would a fine rum or whiskey

http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-c ... cigar.html
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Interesting.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Let's flesh out this size/RG ratio a bit...

Here are the numbers. Let's compare a 60 ring to a 40 ring:

1. A 60 ring requires about 50% more wrapper (the tasty part), but about 125% more filler (the lighter, far less tasty part). Thus the wrapper/filler ratio is about 150/225 or about 0.6 to 1. For a 40 ring the numbers are 100/100 or 1 to 1 wrapper to filler. Thus a smaller ring has more wrapper smoke per puff (almost half again as much) as the larger.

Now a really cool point, about sucking:

2. Most smokers find that smaller ring cigars get hotter. And this is true: a smaller ring will burn hotter (about 10 degrees, and the hotter, the fuller). Cool reason: first, that many smokers like big clouds of smoke, so these tokers have a tendency to "force" the smaller ring to get more smoke, ie. burn more tobacco, which then gets hotter.

And yet another factor: most smokers get used to using the same style of suck, lol. So even if they don't mean to "push" the smaller ring, it's almost inevitable.

Flat Ass Bottom Line

A smaller ring is fuller and tastier simply by its higher wrapper to filler ratio. The smaller ring will tend to also burn hotter (and stronger) - but - there is a real limit to this. It's far too easy to oversmoke a smaller ring - and to (un)intentionally oversmoke it and to cause to grossly overheat the fine tobacco, leading to harshness and burnt tastes.

Thus we might consider being quite aware of this and taking special care to sip it VERY carefully, and taking a pass on the huge clouds of smoke we might like from a biggie. Your reward will be a MUCH tastier small ring smoke, that lasts notably longer, cooler and tastier.

http://www.stogieguys.com/2012/06/06142 ... tters.html